German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD/Mali pup is 8 months and she is having her first heat. What is the best age to get her fixed and why? My other girl was fixed at 7 months, never went into heat and now has spay incontinence. We want to avoid that from happening again. Thank you

·
Registered
648 Posts
Better age for spaying is 18 months to 2 years or so. 3 months after last heat is also an excellent idea to allow the hormones after the cycle to stabilize. One thing I noticed in my female, she had a 'first heat' but it wasn't quite a full heat and had another cycle sooner than would be expected if her first had been a full heat. So 2 heats would be bare minimum but ideally waiting until around 2 is going to be better for the dog.

·
Super Moderator
4,686 Posts
I did my gal 3 months after her 2nd heat and she was about 18 months. I also have an intact male or I might have waited through a 3rd heat. I have read that each heat increases a possibility of mammary cancer so while it is good for some issues, it is worse for others.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I did my gal 3 months after her 2nd heat and she was about 18 months. I also have an intact male or I might have waited through a 3rd heat. I have read that each heat increases a possibility of mammary cancer so while it is good for some issues, it is worse for others.
YEP! I didn't spay my girl and she got a mammary tumor at 3 years old. Took those ovaries out at the same time as the tumor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts