German Shepherds Forum banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep! Panties and pads. Who knows what the right age is? Is there really a right age? I do know that we had one girl that developed Idiopathic thrombocytopenia following her spay procedure. Genetic, but would it have show up had we waited? Regardless, we still decided on another girl. And when she ages and is losing her health we will get one last girl (we are in our 70s). It is worth working with the 1st heat or two using panties and pads. The females are sometimes little tempermental but they gain respect for the alphas much quicker IMO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know I could probably do a search and find this subject a thousand times.
But I was wondering what the end result is?

Kira will be 6 months on December 25th.

What is the PREFERRED age to get her spayed? I'm concerned about her health, hormones, etc..

I have no intention of breeding her.
I was told by experienced breeders and my vet that if we could wait a full year of age before getting fixed, it would allow your dogs growth plates to fully establish themselves leading to a reduced chance for ACL injuries as well as hip dysplasia which is common in Shepards

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know I could probably do a search and find this subject a thousand times.
But I was wondering what the end result is?

Kira will be 6 months on December 25th.

What is the PREFERRED age to get her spayed? I'm concerned about her health, hormones, etc..

I have no intention of breeding her.
Unless your dog is off leash at a dog park or beach or left outside for long I would do it at 6 months. But if not really or you're super on top of it I don't think there is a real hurry you'd just be dealing with periods and crap or so I have seen

·
Registered
431 Posts
I was told by experienced breeders and my vet that if we could wait a full year of age before getting fixed, it would allow your dogs growth plates to fully establish themselves leading to a reduced chance for ACL injuries as well as hip dysplasia which is common in Shepards
I would at least wait until after her first heat or preferably 18 months for a female and 2 years or older for a male IF you decide to spay/neuter. I had my female spayed just before her 2nd heat and my male is almost two and intact. I probably won't be neutering him at all. I once adopted an adult female GSD that had been spayed early. Her vulva had not properly developed because of the early spay and she had a lifetime of misery from infections. She also suffered from hip and joint problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had miy
Her vet is suggesting 6 months. She gave us a tentative appointment for January 5th

I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing. I dont' want any altered personality or temperament changes.
I hear this is possible after spaying. Is it?
I had my baby girl done at 6 months and she is now 3 and is absolutely awesome. Very calm and great disposition and loves playing. I recommend listen to your vet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vets will tell you 6 months however, I plan on waiting until he is 18 months thus allowing him to fully develop (body size, muscle tone etc) after speaking with many breeders and trainers this seems to be the best option if you want your pup to reach his full potential size.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
By waiting a few heats, you give the vulva time to fully develop. An under-developed inverted vulva can cause infections like UTIs. Not for every dog but it increases the risk.
Spaying before the firs heat can prevent mammary tumors but after the first heat, spaying doesn't provide any protection, no matter how long you wait, according to my vet.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Old thread sprang to life :)

When I asked my vet, she said. 'We used to always recommend early neutering, at a couple of months. Now we generally recommed waiting until they are sexually mature, 9 months to a year. For a large, slow-developing dog like yours, you might want to wait as long as two years until he fully develops. It all depends....'

I liked her honesty.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts