German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
My boy Falco is 16 months and not yet Neutered. One of his testicles never dropped. I was wondering your thoughts on this, any issues leaving him as is? The last time I took him to the vet for this issue he said i shoud wait til he's 18 months. I dont know around what age they are in heat, but he has not really displayed any leg or other form of humping except a few months back.

·
Registered
32,081 Posts
Boys don't go into heat. If he still has a retained testicle, your best bet is to neuter him. There is no danger in waiting until he is 18 or even 24 months old. But then you should have it done. It will cost a bit more because they will have to go in and find it, so you generally have to pay for a surgery like a spay rather than a simple neuter.

They say that they are no more likely to get testicular cancer than dogs that have both decended, but being retained you will not detect the abnormality and you will not be able to diagnose it and treat (neuter). So it really is best to neuter him.

·
Registered
831 Posts
My dog is 1 year old and not fixed, I am still debating on whether or not to do it now or when he is closer to 2. I have a fenced yard, he does not go outside without a leash, he has not done any humping or marking, he doesn't even lift his leg to pee yet. The vet said there is no harm in doing it now, but if I do decide to wait it will take him longer to recover. I am leaning towards waiting, because he hasn't done any of the typical male behaviors yet and I would like him to get a bit bigger and a bit more masculine. So should it be okay if I wait until he's 2? If there was any medical issue I would have it done immediately of course. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
My pup has her surgery scheduled near the end of december, I didn't even ask my vet if this is what I should do, I had just assumed if I wasn't sure I wanted to breed I should get her fixed. She will be about 7 1/2 months then, but I am worried not, should i cancel, I already changed her appointment once and I don't want to just keep changing them If it isn't important. I am really don't know what to do here.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I am going to be brutally honest. I believe they should keep what they have been given and I will not be neutering my dog unless it is medically necessary.
If I owned a female I would spay. No way i could handle heat cycles and the mess that goes witg it. Partly the reason I prefer males.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Aour vet advised us to fix our puppry at six month and we agreed with him initially, however, i decided to check on risks and outcomes prior to date and made decision that we will keep her intact until she is fully grown. She is now 10 month and had her first heat. it was not so bad, we used panties in the home over night she never minded it. We will definatley proceeed with fixing her, but not untill she reaches full maturity. Benefits outway risks by far in this case.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My breeder told me to wait until my GSD male was up to 3 to neuter him because of the plates in all of his joints. The hormones they have will close them fully and then it will help joints as they get older too. My vet said 6 months but I don't see the point if it is going to hurt him developing properly.

·
Super Moderator
5,349 Posts
You have no way to compare how the dog would have matured had it been left intact.

David Winners

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
We decided to have Dexter fixed at 2, ONLY because he was getting attacked constantly by other dogs, we foster so it was safer for him. I had a vet tell me its healthier to wait it out, and if there is no issue then do not do it, dexters breeder said either breed him or fix him, so its always mixed msges.

·
Super Moderator
5,349 Posts
Sterilization by vasectomy is also a choice. It will leave the hormones intact.

David Winners

·
Registered
16 Posts
Behavioral issues with spaying

does anyone have any info on behavioral changes, mainly aggression with females and spaying either before or after 1st heat?
our female is 7 months old has not had her heat yet. our vet recommended waiting for her first heat to pass before fixing her. We live in the city though and cant comprehend keeping her in the apartment for 3 weeks while she is in heat... should we have her fixed before?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Haru - I walk, hike, run, bike and swim with my female when she's in heat. You just have to be more vigilant about not letting her get close to a male that may react and be only where dogs are leashed. When I'm not sure what I'll encounter I bring a stick. My female still gets to play with other female dogs and my own neutered male at home doesn't notice any changes.

My female is affectionate towards me when she's in heat, no difference in her reaction towards dogs.

Your dog may act differently in heat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i know everyone has varied opinions on the subject. my vet recommends waiting till after 1st heat, but i dont think we can handle a dog in heat, there are intact males in the area and i dont think we can keep her locked up for three weeks. she is 7 months now, ive read on average first heat is 9 months. she is a companion dog, not competition, is it really that detrimental to spay her now?

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
does anyone have any info on behavioral changes, mainly aggression with females and spaying either before or after 1st heat?
our female is 7 months old has not had her heat yet. our vet recommended waiting for her first heat to pass before fixing her. We live in the city though and cant comprehend keeping her in the apartment for 3 weeks while she is in heat... should we have her fixed before?
If you don't want to deal with the heat, then spay your dog. Up to you. Plenty if dogs get spayed at 6 months.

But it's not like she has to be locked up for 3 weeks. She CAN go outside and go for walks. You just have to be vigilant.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
5,349 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
I learned from a DVM I worked with that the best age to spay in there opinion was 4-5 months. I had halo spayed when she was 6 months. Honestly I don't think it has to be that early. But Ive learned from experience waiting late and then spaying and neutering is sometimes a bad is sometimes

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,
Gigi is 5 months and I am thinking of letting her go through a first heat for health reasons; is it true that postponing her spaying will allow her to mature so far as her hormones and bones are concerned? Another issue is that she will be crated during my work hours from 8-4. Any advice?

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
personally i think spay at 6-7 mos is better
girl heals faster and you have reduced her breast cancer chances to zero

i dont understand your question about crating
crating in general or just while she is in heat?

·
Registered
13 Posts
To clarify, my dog will have to be crated while in heat because I leave for work at 8am. My concern is her anxiety about being in heat. I viewed Dr. Karen Becker's video which expressed her views and I believe that it's best for Gigi to have at least one heat for her overall development.

61 - 80 of 114 Posts