German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what dosage and how many times a day do you give your gs pup benedrayl for allergies? my guy is 6 1/2 months, weighs approximately 65 lbs. i hate to give it to him, but, he is so itchy and making his skin red and sore from picking at it. it is mostly on his belly. but, honestly he is itchy all over. i think it's coming from tree pollen because that is when it started to bother him. thanks for your answers.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The dosage I used was 1mg per pound of body weight 2 times a day.

Our previous GSD suffered from seasonal allergies, so every spring and early summer, we had to put him on Benadryl. Oddly enough, his energy level and focus never seemed affected by the drug, which was a good thing. At first I hated giving it to him too, but it worked so well at stopping the itching and chewing, that it was worth it. Our guy was about 4 years old when his allergies started, so I would double check the dosage with your vet in case it is different for puppies (don't see why it would be, but you can never be too careful with meds).

Good Luck

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dosage I used was 1mg per pound of body weight 2 times a day.

Our previous GSD suffered from seasonal allergies, so every spring and early summer, we had to put him on Benadryl. Oddly enough, his energy level and focus never seemed affected by the drug, which was a good thing. At first I hated giving it to him too, but it worked so well at stopping the itching and chewing, that it was worth it. Our guy was about 4 years old when his allergies started, so I would double check the dosage with your vet in case it is different for puppies (don't see why it would be, but you can never be too careful with meds).

Good Luck
what was his weight and how many pills did that give him a day?

·
Registered
420 Posts
what was his weight and how many pills did that give him a day?
Rappex was 95 pounds, so we gave him 4 of the 25mg pills, 2 times a day. A total of 8 pills a day. Our vet had no issue with Rappex getting the extra 5mg at each dosage.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You can just call your vet office and they can give you the dosage appropriate for your dog.
I agree! The above dosage worked for our previous dog, but if our current pup started with allergies, I would definitely call the vet for dosage info in case it is different for puppies.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Call your vet to confirm...
dosage is 1/2 to 2 mg/lb, by mouth, every 12 hours.

Make sure the active ingredient is only diphenydramine. Don't buy any type of Benadryl cough and cold.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shasta was recommended (she's 6 months old) for a 1mg per pound of body weight. She's now JUST under 50lbs so she would get 2 25mg pills twice a day if needed. the dosage doesnt change with pups. as long as the pup at at 18-20lbs a full pill would be okay. You could even give half and it would be fine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks to all for your answers. you were a big help. called vet and asked pharmacist both agreed with 1-2 pills 3x's a day. i started with the one pill and it seemed to help a little. i will keep on 1 pill 3x's a day and see if it works completely on him. if not, i will go to the 2 pills. again, thanks.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Vet said .5 to 1 mg per pound is basic dosage. I always go with the start low and work up theory

We had an 80 pound GSD and actually two regular pink ones a day worked just fine even though they were less than the 1 mg per pound.

Our 4 month old puppy when he had an allergy attack (covered himself in pollen one day) had 1/2 pink pill twice a day no problem (32 pounds)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vet said .5 to 1 mg per pound is basic dosage. I always go with the start low and work up theory

We had an 80 pound GSD and actually two regular pink ones a day worked just fine even though they were less than the 1 mg per pound.

Our 4 month old puppy when he had an allergy attack (covered himself in pollen one day) had 1/2 pink pill twice a day no problem (32 pounds)
thanks for your input. i'm so afraid of giving my guy meds. i gave him 1 pill yesterday and, and so far, one today. i will only give one more this evening and see how it goes. it does seem like he is scratching less.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts