German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello so let me start by saying im new and i love this site..im also new to gsd and i love them as well now they are suck a fun loveing beautiful playful careing bread of dogs. but i do have a few issues with mine. to start of i got bella when she was a 7 month old puppy shes been with me for 2 months now.i live in the country with open fields and a big yard surounding me..the first week i had her she was always on a leash or a tied off lead i would walk her around the property line a few times a day after the first week id let her go free while i was outside she did great and never left my side except to go lay in the shade to sleep but she never left the property she was doing so well i could let outside by herself and not have to worry she could stay out there all day nd never leave the front yard..well about a month ago she was acting strange(kinda testy) when she woke up i let her outside and bam after a car she went then she wouldnt come back or answer and when i finally got her she just wanted to play ever since then she has to be on a lead or shes gone, she will chew through her leads within 10mins if you dont watch her. she also has shredded 2 pillows and blanket of mine and also pulled the sheets of my bed and ripped the top of the bed off and pulled the stuffing out...im verry dissapointed in her behaivior she never use to beg for food while we would eat but now she does she has completlely taken eveything ive tought her and forgot it and now rebels aginst me, i tought her to sit,lay,speak,shake,and high 5. but now if she see's a treat she will automaticly lay no matter what you say and wont listen to other comands..whats going on with her..anyhelp would be nice i cant afford a new bed and pillows and what not once a week thanks zack

·
Super Moderator
32,430 Posts
Zack, it would be much easier to read your post (and you will probably get more responses) if you use punctuation. It's very hard to follow run on sentences. And maybe use spell check too - I assume you meant to say "such", not "suck"?:

hello, so let me start by saying i'm new and i love this site. i'm also new to gsd and i love them as well, now they are such a fun loveing beautiful playful careing bread of dogs. but i do have a few issues with mine.

to start off, i got bella when she was a 7 month old puppy. she's been with me for 2 months now. i live in the country with open fields and a big yard surounding me. the first week i had her she was always on a leash or a tied off lead. i would walk her around the property line a few times a day. after the first week i'd let her go free while i was outside. she did great and never left my side except to go lay in the shade to sleep, but she never left the property. she was doing so well i could let outside by herself and not have to worry. she could stay out there all day and never leave the front yard.

well about a month ago she was acting strange(kinda testy) when she woke up. i let her outside and bam, after a car she went. then she wouldnt come back or answer and when i finally got her she just wanted to play. ever since then she has to be on a lead or she's gone, she will chew through her leads within 10mins if you dont watch her. she also has shredded 2 pillows and blanket of mine and also pulled the sheets off my bed and ripped the top of the bed off and pulled the stuffing out.

im verry dissapointed in her behaivior. she never use to beg for food while we would eat but now she does. she has completlely taken eveything i've tought her and forgot it and now rebels aginst me. i tought her to sit, lay, speak, shake, and high 5. but now if she see's a treat she will automaticly lay no matter what you say and wont listen to other comands. whats going on with her? any help would be nice. i cant afford a new bed and pillows and what not once a week.

thanks, zack

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
start crating your dog. stop leaving your dog outside off lead
or not in a kennel.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
First of all Zack, welcome to the forum. Maybe it is just a phase that Bella is going through. Has Bella been spayed, if she hasn't maybe that has something to do with it?

I am just guessing here, surely someone on here can give you some helpful information. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry for the punctuation and grammer. It was like 3 in the morning and i had just got home from work. I am going to get a kennel for her i just havent been able to afford one at the time. I work from 330pm untill 2am and i arive at home about 3am everyday, so she is usually in my room between them times unless my dad is at home, wich he is most of time since hes laid off. when i first got her i wasnt working this job and this many hours, since i started i have notticed a behavioral change, not sure if me being gone is causeing it? i do put her on a lead/run when she is outside now but she will chew through her leads a little everytime shes out there, untill she finally gets it broke and then takes off.Im useing a small steel braded lead also. I want to be able to take her outside and play catch with her and fetch but i am unable to do so because she refuses to stay around me, once the door is open shes gone after about a minute. Like i stated before i had her trained and she was doing so well, and in the matter of going to sleep and wakeing up the next day shes become rebelous. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Zack

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Hi Zack,

It sounds like Bella is bored and frustrated and is acting out. That's not surprising because she's still a pup and needs a lot of attention and activity. How much exercise and training does Bella get every day? I have a 4.5 yo and he gets at least 1.5 hours of exercise and training every single day. Most days he gets more like 2 hours.

Training is a lifelong commitment. I like to teach my dog something new every few weeks but I also am constantly working on the stuff he already knows. I also try to keep training fun, fun, fun. His favorite thing is a toy but he will also work for treats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bella is constantly getting attention from 7am untill 10pm almost everyday.Its winter here and we have a decent amount if snow so we dont go out for walks, but were constantly wrestleing around, and my dad is always playing tug of war with her. Also if shes laying down in a kinda stalk position if you lunge at her she will jump up and run full speed from one end of our hose to the other, she does this back and forth four 10-15mins. She is always getting excersie even if were not going outside. Im starting to wonder if i need to change the food she is on? i will fill her bowl and leave it out all day, she always has a full bowl, yet the last week ive noticed iv filled it once and filled half of it up another time. She has been barely eating, ever since ive had her she has only ate after dark and when im in the same room as her.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
It's probably not the food Bella is bored and doesn't like being left alone.... do a search on separation anxiety here. Without a crate she's going to continue to chew things because she can...she has too much access.

I know it's winter, cold, and snowy but those are not reasons to skip exercise. Part of your problem now is she is under stimulated so the less you run her the more likely she is to run off and destroy things.

You can improve her recall by leashing her inside and giving the come command with a treat waiting for her when she listens- say it once only and if she'd doesn't come she just gets no treat, but no scolding or repeat commands. You can then begin to practice this outside again with a long leash same rules. If your consistent she'll catch back on fast right now she is testing you and probably full of energy she needs to run off. Seek out fenced areas so she can run more, go to a dog park, join an OB class, or find some friends with other dogs she can play with. These will both mentally and physically wear her out some and make for a better behaved pup.

You can also search other recall methods on here, but a pup that is always tied up outdoors is going to want to break free. More exercise and get a crate is what it comes down too:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She listens so well on her leash though, i never have to call her more than once while shes on her leash inside or outside. Im not close to any dog parks, the closest one is an hour away, although i do occasionaly take her to my friends house who has her brother from the same litter and let them play. She just like to rrun off as soon as she breaks free i can let her outside without a leash for about 10 minutes with me out there and constantly calling her back to me every few minutes, but if a car goes by shes gone. The hours i work and working everyday really kills my "bella time", im only home from 330am-2pm. i wake up at about 1230 by the time i get around and ready for work i only have a short amount of time to take her out for a run but i will play with her outside on her leash and shes usually wore out and ready for a nap when we get in. I just would like her to have some freedom and not be kenneld the whole time im gone or someones not home, one reason i got her was for a guard dog and if she has to be crated inside while no ones home it kinda defeats the purpose, how long will it take her to break the demolishing everything stage? and thanks everyone for the input

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I understand about the time thing. I have to sacrifice sleep in order to walk/exercise/train my dogs most days. I get up an hour earlier every morning in order to take proper care of Rafi and I honestly go to sleep about an hour later than I would too.

German shepherds are not low maintenance dogs. They are smart and get bored very easily. As I said before, proper care is a lifelong commitment. It's not a question of growing out of stuff, it's a question of them getting enough mental and physical exercise as well as learning what is appropriate to chew on and what is not appropriate. Crates and leashes help with this.

I took Rafi out for a walk tonight at 1am and many nights we're out at 2 and even 3am, depending on my schedule. The dog doesn't care what time it is or how cold it is--they need to get out every day. If I were you I would take her for a walk when you get home at night (even a brisk 20 minutes will help) and then get up an hour earlier and take her for an hour walk before you go to work. That may not stop the chewing but it should take the edge off for her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts