German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting that cute puppy off of craigslist? The father and mother are both akc registered but for some reason one of their papers got lost so the puppies are going for cheap? Don't do it!

You will end up spending more than you would have on a puppy from a breeder!

I got rocky from a sergeant at the police department in San Antonio. The male he owned was a retired police dog (drug sniffing) and the female was a dog that didn't make the cut for the police dog training.

Seems like a pretty good deal right?

Well since we have had rocky here are the additional costs that probably wouldn't have happened if we had gotten him from a breeder!

Coxidia (1 1/2 months to get rid of it and three cycles of medicine)

Ghiardia

Terrible case of fleas

Tapeworms

Upper respiratory infection

Cough (2 weeks)

I have spent over 1800 including his 200 cost on medicine. There are a few things I cant remember that were little that we had to get pills for.

I would never give rocky back and he is a very smart awesome dog and hasn't been sick in about a month

But I am very lucky! Be careful of backyard breeders! You end up spending just as much if not more money and you worry about your puppy!!

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Just think of the ones that won't invest that much in vetting...where are those pups ending up?
Glad rocky ended up with you. This is just the beginning of the costs of raising a dog.
Add in the cost of training,food and toys~ we are so lucky to share life with this wonderful breed it is so worth it!

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
100% agreed.

There's actually a current member who started a thread on this very issue. He felt that because he wanted just a pet quality dog that it's fine to look for deals on craigslist. Why spend thousands from a quality breeder when he can spend a couple hundred from joe schmo and their cute purebred puppies, right?

Everyone told him not to and have him tons of reasons why he shouldn't. He didn't listen and guess what happened? The puppy died within days of parvo. What's worse... the sick puppy got his other older puppy sick with parvo and he almost had two dead puppies within the same week all because he felt it's better to look for deals off of craigslist and not spend the money on a quality breeder.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Coxidia (1 1/2 months to get rid of it and three cycles of medicine)
Coccidia...for those who might be wondering what on earth coxidia is.

Re: the $200 puppy. Let me give you my own experience.

Kodi - adopted (given to us when the person who purchased him as a 1500 puppy couldn't handle him anymore for various reasons, and the breeder left her high and dry). Worst hip dysplasia our vet had ever seen. Dislocated his hip due to the severity of it at 10 mo old and either had to be euthanized or have a total hip replacement. Adopted him January of 09, had to euthanize him October of '09. Spent well over 7 grand, maybe 8 by the time all was said and done with. Also had allergies, weak ACL's, a possible bone disorder, I'm sure I'm forgetting other issues.

Akira - free - bred by leader dogs for the blind, no idea on pedigree, but good breeding. They are pretty selective on their breeding stock. Raised her from 7 wks old till 1 yr when she x-rayed with mild dysplasia. They career changed her (flushed her out of the program) due to it possibly causing future lameness issues, so she's been my pet ever since. Develoepd a severe onset of EPI at 3 yrs and a couple months old. Allergies which cause regular ear infections. Very "high maintenance" girl. Have to be careful of shampoos, diet, etc. Meds for the rest of her life for EPI.

Audrey - pulled from a VERY high kill rural shelter by me at approx 6 mo of age. Horrific case of demodex mange, almost bald. Bad skin infections. Infested with a variety of worms. Spent a good chunk of change on her fixing her up. Healthiest dog in the house now all these years later. No health problems to speak of.

Micah - adopted from craigslist as a 2 y/o. They got him as a puppy, unknown breeder but I think I know who now thanks to another poster here, and they stuck him in a pen in the backyard for the next two years. Finally decided to get rid of him, first come first serve kind of deal. Was a little underweight, dirty, no training or socialization to speak of, and horrific ear infections (yeast and bacterial) as well as some old healed fly bites on his ears which left minor permanent scaring. Fixed him up, socialized and trained him, BEST DOG EVER! No health problems to speak of.

Dante - breeder/adoption, was listed on petfinder but still with the original breeder - long story - temperament needs work (shy, weak nerves, not aggressive in the least), he'd be a mess in the wrong hands, and his health overall is good other than a UTI which was cleared up. Could happen to any dog.

Moose - craigslist adoption. You can read his whole story should it interest you that much by searching my old threads in the pictures forum. Too young to tell, we'll see how his health holds up.

Just my 2 cents. We don't adopt dogs because we don't want to pay money for them at a breeder. We adopt dogs because we want to save a life, give them a better home than they have and may continue to have should someone else adopt them.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I agree that we shouldn't buy from bybs but any dog can have health problems, accidents, etc., even if they're from the best breeder. There are so many people on this board who have expensive dogs from reputable breeders who have serious health problems.

The healthiest dog I ever had was Chama. She was free--I found her through an ad in Penny Saver. She lived to be 14+ years old.

Massie and Rafi are the dogs I've had with the best temperaments. Both were rescues who were dumped.

Basu was bred by a reputable hobby breeder but purchased by a complete jerk who neglected and abused him for 4.5 years. He was also over vaccinated and ended up with vaccinosis.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sometimes people do not want money for their PB Canine, all they want is a good home.
So though Craigslist or any other ad might have a listing that is free or cheap, you still may get a top quality PB. Buyer beware, and all that. You can usually tell if you are getting something that is rotten (so to speak) once you meet the people and see their enviroment you can make a pretty good judgment on things. Always take the pup, or what ever to the vet with in 24hrs too. Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I am no fan of Craigslist, believe me. I really wish they would ban any pet ads. In my area there are a few people who are truly trying to rehome their pet, but for the most part our local Craigslist is over run with BYBs.

I do think that problems crop up for people when they use a low initial purchase price as the primary goal or deciding factor when searching. It seems that wanting to do it on the cheap causes the problem, and not so much any single listing site for the cheap puppies.

A huge purchase price is no guarantee of getting a problem free puppy. My own Tanner is a case in point. But the old saying that you get what you pay for has a basic truth. The majority of cheap puppies out there have been produced by breeders who did it on the cheap, and that can really come back to hit you later on.

I am not so sure that the average puppy buyer who uses a site like Craigslist can tell if they are getting something rotten. There are sooo many people out there who honestly believe that being a "purebred" (or "purebread", since we are talking about Craigslist) means the same thing as quality. Or being AKC registered is some sign of a seal of approval from some type of Better Business Bureau for dogs.
Sheilah

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rocky's litter was originally 11 but 3 died...of the 7 that lived, I am in contact with 4 of the owners because I wanted to make sure they got their puppies checked for ghiardia and coccidia (sorry I didn't know the correct spelling). All of the puppies had a cough, upper resp. infection, coccidia, ghiardia, and terrible fleas. However, after these things were taken care of, the puppies have been perfectly healthy. The parents were tested for displasia (another word I hope I am spelling correctly) and they both passed with flying colors.

I think the puppies would have had less problems if the owner had let them inside...they were living on his porch without anything over their heads because his wife had just had a baby and they didn't want the puppies around it. And the mother and father were living under the porch (they had a two story house, with the porch on the second story) because they had weaned the puppies from the mother and the father was aggressive towards them.

That was one reason I thought a reputable breeder would be better...they are prepare for the puppies and (the good ones) provide adequate shelter so they are protected from the cold and rain!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I bought my WGSD (white german shepherd for those new to the term) from an ad in the newspaper for under $100. I'd wanted a rescue, waited months ... never came across a white shepherd. Decided to take the quick, cheap route and picked up the newspaper one Saturday morning. (Not sure if craigslist existed 8.. 9 years ago.)

When I still think about how I was taking that 'quick, cheap route', I have to laugh. I ended up taking out a home equity loan to pay off the credit cards I used paying her health bills. That quick, cheap puppy had bad hips .. a blood disorder, intestinal disease, recurring urinary tract infections, and spent her whole life on a special diet, strict schedules and medications. She was with me an entirely too-short 8 years. I can't begin to add up the total cost of that quick, cheap puppy.

I miss her something FIERCE ... she was priceless.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
That was one reason I thought a reputable breeder would be better...they are prepare for the puppies and (the good ones) provide adequate shelter so they are protected from the cold and rain!
There is no question that a reputable breeder is always better! I don't think a reputable breeder would advertise on Craigslist, that is for sure.
Sheilah

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
I think the puppies would have had less problems if the owner had let them inside...they were living on his porch without anything over their heads because his wife had just had a baby and they didn't want the puppies around it. And the mother and father were living under the porch (they had a two story house, with the porch on the second story) because they had weaned the puppies from the mother and the father was aggressive towards them.
That alone should give you an idea of what you're getting. :thinking:

I'm with Rerun. I adopt dogs to save lives, not to save money. Personally, I'd rather take that $1000+ I'd spend on a breeder puppy and put it towards a shelter dog who really needs the medical care and a good home. Plenty of people will step forward and take that breeder dog (Most reputable breeders have a waiting list to use to place their puppies), who is going to take the shelter dogs? There isn't a line of people ready to take them, that is why thousands die every year.

I paid $45 from animal control to adopt Chance. It included a rabies vaccine, neuter and microchip. The first day he was home I had invested $200 in treating his worms and parvo that he came with. So give about $250 to get him. I realize this is fairly cheap but $250 or $2500, he'd be worth it all the same and even with health problems it doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a good home. 3 years later, he's turned out to be the best dog I've ever owned. (And is totally healthy now!) The day this dog dies I will truly loose a chunk of my heart that will never be able to be filled by any other pet.

Zoey we got for free. She showed up wandering my grandparents farm one day, we took her home and my mom/dad said yes to her. A week later we found out (From my grandparents neighbors/the people that owned her) she was 5 weeks old, her name was Zoey and that she'd come from a litter of Pekingese/Pomeranian mixes that a neighbor had bred but they couldn't keep her. We took her and nearly 13 years later she is still with me. She did suffer from UTI's all her life but with a better diet in the last 7 years they have reduced dramatically to only 1-2x a year. When she was 10 she got pyometra, $1000 and an emergency spay later she recovered and has no real lasting effects besides slight incontinence (Vet believes that it's mostly due to her age since it's only started in the last year) so she takes meds ($18 every 6 months) to help it and she also was diagnosed with a low thyroid several months ago so that is another $15 every 2 months. None of these problems are something that a breeder could ever prevent from happening. So is your $2000 dog still worth it when it happens?

I look at it this way, the adoption fee is nothing. Regardless of being from a breeder or a shelter/rescue. Food, toys, basic vet care (Not including emergencies!), ect will all add up to MUCH more than an adoption/buying fee ever will. Your dog, regardless of where it comes from, can pick up diseases and parasites at any point in it's life. If you're not willing to take on those problems be it today or 10 years from now, don't get the animal in the first place.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Any dogs can have problems, but I'm pretty sure you'd have a lower chance of problems if you get your pup from a reputable breeder.

I got my dog, Rocky, from a BYB, he had flees, still hasn't been to the vet, so he had worms and everything still. He was four weeks when we got him, so kinda expected about the worms, but flees were a problem, it isn't easy to deflea a 4 week old, and he ended up being very allergic to the bites and had a bad case of the itches for a long time.

Even after being fully vaccinated, he still contracted Parvo at 6 months old. Also, he has had a limp for the last 3-4 months that vets can't do anything about.

So I'm thinking that at least the genetics of a $1,000 pup will give you better luck than a pup that you get for $50 from Craigslist.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Fleas can be treated (even on a young puppy) with a bath in a sensitive shampoo. (NOT!!! a flea shampoo!!!!! Suds of -any- kind will kill them, you don't have to give your dog a chemical bath to do it regardless of age.)

Also, my grandparents adopted their Mastiff mix from the same animal control I got Chance from. (Actually only a week after lol I originally was going to get her but really wanted a more athletic dog. I came home and cried after signing the papers because I felt like I was giving the puppy a chance over a (LARGE!!!) adult dog who had very little chance of being adopted) She was guessed to be about 2-3 years old at the time. She was an owner surrender (Chance was a stray) and the day they signed the papers was the day before she was suppose to be PTS. This was from a HIGH kill shelter, they actually gave her a LOT more time (a couple weeks compared to the normal 3 day limit) to get adopted thank GOD! She has ended up being the best dog they've ever had. (Her and Chance are best buds!) She's had no health problems what so ever and the dog thinks my grandpa is the greatest thing in the world. So much for the Labrador puppy they wanted from a breeder. Lol!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I got my dog from a BYB, well kind of. Her dam and sire were both AKC registered, but she did not have the OFA test done. However, the dam's parents both had an OFA of normal and so did their parents. Her dam and sire had no official titles.

I also spoke to their vet, who stated their dogs are very well cared of and not one has been diagnosed with a serious illness or hip dysplasia. The breeder also had the full pedigree for my dog which allowed me to research some more and speak to the breeders they purchased their dam and sire from. Everything checked out ok (I even called the vet who took care of my pup's grandparents on both sides).

The puppy cost me $650 which included AKC papers, microchip, clean bill of health from their vet (including first set of shots) and some training guides. The breeder is in her 70s and does this for the love of the breed I'm assuming. She is always available for questions and has helped a lot. That's more than I can say than some of the other breeders I was looking at who charges over $2k. I bought pet insurance, at least for the first year, just in case though! I'm hoping he will be healthy.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
from my own experience there is still a good chance that you can get an off pup from a reputable breeder........i experienced a massive round worm infestation from my last pup from a rep breeder, took me a good year to get rid of them.........the infestation was so bad my vet explained that because he was so infested the worms migrate into the muscle and come out randomly as wormed.........puppies do have worms, but usually after a few wormings and regular montly wormings its taken care of.........you don't expect to have to deal with such an issue coming from a rep breeder.........i honestly think it effected my pups growth and development in the long term.......his temperment is also screwy fearful, unsure, spooky dog, who has had every opportunity to thrive with training, exposure, socialization etc..............

So, its a crap shoot no matter where the pup comes from.........a had a few pups earlies that i got locally for 2-300 dollars who were absolutely wonderful healthy stable dogs...........

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Reputable breeders are not immune from the vagaries of GSD genetics. Sure, you can get someone who does not deliberately breed a problem and that would be good. But, buying a dog from a good breeder does not guarantee you won't spend big bucks in the health care of that dog. They are GSDs and the breed has genetic issues that go with it as do all dog breeds. You can select well and still have the genes bite you in the hiney no matter where the dogs origin.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
that is so true Samba...........although when seeking a better more responsible breeder you would just expect the general care in the nest and the first 8 weeks would be a given........genetic temperment issues are another story.........

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Casey was given to us for free at 3 months old.
A friend didn't realize that a puppy would be under his feet all of the time and he tripped and fell.....twice. :blush:
He has a steel plate in his neck from an accident and he decided it would be best to rehome her.
He had papers and spent $500 on her just a few weeks earlier.
He gaveher to us because he knew she would have a good forever home.
Casey is an awesome dog, put has a whole list of health problems.
She has had a hip replacement years ago, and has a ton of allergy problems.
Luckily she ended up with us, because everything is addressed and she will be well taken care of.
I always say, there is no such thing as a free dog! :):):)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts