German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what I want to be when I get out of college, so I don't know what classes to take. I want to get German shepherd(that why I'm here of course) but i also want to be a vet, not like a lot but I've been thinking about it. Could I bring my dog to the office, I mean I'm sure I could if it's my office, but with all those dogs, if another dogs aggressive and attempts to hurt mine. Of course I'm just being paranoid. Do you think it turn out ok? What jobs could I bring my dog to, I would love a job that involves animals, espcially if I could bring my GSD.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
My vet brings her two German Shorthaired Pointers to the office every day (she owns her own clinic.) At the clinic where she used to work, several of the vet techs often brought their dogs.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
My vet let me socialize one of my dogs to her beagle. And sometimes the techs have their dogs there.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
My vets work such loooooooooooooooooong hours...they are usually there by 7:30 if not earlier, and I get phone calls that late at night, on Thanksgiving, etc. I kind of feel bad for their pets if no one else is around at home, and I do think some bring their dogs in to the kennels. They don't let them run around the office while the public is there so they don't have to worry about encounters with strange dogs.

What jobs could you bring a dog to?

That's a good question!

Groomer, vet, vet tech, SOME social workers/counselors can but have to have a dog with the same interest in helping people...what else?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
My vet also has her dogs on site, the techs bring their dogs in too. One of the techs has a great dane that is supposedly trying to get into the guinness book of world records for height. I saw him about a month ago and couldn't believe how big he was.
Otsego Great Dane could be world's tallest dog, but just try measuring him | MLive.com

I would worry about illness if I brought my dog to the clinic daily.
My vet did say that dogs that come in are calmer due to her dogs presence(the pheromones they toss out are relaxing not stress) Her dogs aren't in the waiting room and behind a dutch door in the office area.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
My vet's dogs have the run of the place. She designed her clinic so all the doors except the exam rooms, isolation, cat ward and manager's office have swinging doors and one of her dogs knows how to open them so he can go wherever he likes. He is the vet's shadow, follows her around all day. She put in dog beds all over and there's a basket of dog toys in the waiting room.
Personally I don't know whether this was the best idea as sometimes other dogs may not like them or other animals may be scared, but I've never seen them have any problems due to it (and I worked there for several months so I was there every day)... The only time they dogs don't have free reign is if there is a dog-aggressive dog, or if another dog has an issue with them, in which case they stay in the manager's office. If an animal is scared or doesn't like them, the owner/pet is usually directed to an exam room so they can be away from the dogs.
They do seem to have a calming effect on a lot of animals though.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Off-Topic: Jane, that is one large puppy!!

On-Topic: When I had Vickki the vet techs always had their dogs, one even had a rottweiler, handsome boy too.

·
Registered
650 Posts
My vet lets his personal dog roam around the office too. Luckily she's pretty chill so all she does is sleep and follow him around. Vet offices don't allow dogs to roam around off leash in the clinic so I don't think the dog could get injured by a dog aggressive dog. I'd be more worried about contagious illnesses.

I wouldn't pick a career based on whether or not you could bring your dog with you though. Especially something as demanding and difficult as veterinary medicine. Tough to get in, lots of hard work when you're practicing, and the financial compensation is not nearly proportionate to the difficulty and sweat that you have to invest.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Some do, some don't. Depends on the size of the clinic, the set up and how busy they are. I don't bother even thinking about bringing my boys to work. The days they are there, I'm lucky if I get 5 seconds to let them out to pee.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts