German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’ve posted recently about my dogs reactivity. My GSD is now 9 months and the prong has really helped him focus more on me and he’s able to pass people and dogs on the street without reacting. He is great off leash it’s only on leash that he barks and lunges.

When we are walking on leash, I generally don’t have him say hi to other dogs unless it’s a dog he knows... mainly because I want him to know that only I allow the interaction when I decide.

Now, it’s people I’m confused about... so I advocate for my dog and don’t let everybody touch him. If he is wagging his tail and happy/interested to say hi, I will let him. However, the one person he said hi to before he did it properly - licked his hand and we were off. The next day he sees the same person and starts jumping on him, barking at him, and tugs on his shirt. Is this play behaviour?

Sometimes he also regresses and we will sit on a bench and he’ll just bark at the next person who walks by which makes me so angry - is he testing boundaries here?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Read on Leerburg.com about their take on socialization. I want my dogs to look to me when out and about. If you think they need to interact with people, then I would work on the puppy sitting first. Mine do better greeting standing, but neither were big jumpers as pups. Denise Fenzi also has a great you tube video out working with an older dog that is a chronic jumper. If you have someone to help you.

·
Super Moderator
7,703 Posts
Going by the information you've given,you have shown your dog what behavior is expected regarding other dogs.Do the same regarding people - show him what to do instead of leaving it up to him to decide.My boy automatically steps behind me and plops down to wait calmly if I stop and chat.He does not want to be touched so that's the system we've worked out:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts