German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking of spaying my dog but im afraid of behaviour change.
I neutured my male dog a few years back and he became lazy and refuses to walk more than 20 feet from the house. He sleeps all day and he became more timid. Do u think it was the neutering that caused him to act this way or did the procedure itself(not enough anesthesia?) that traumatized him?

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
We spayed a three year old boxer last year. There is no change in her energy level. It may depend on the dog.

I would say, in the case of your male, that there might be something else going on other than just the neutering.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I had my old lab 'Bo' neutured when he was in his prime and it totally changed him. He gained a massive amount of weight, got lazy, and lost alot of his desire to do anything. He was the only dog I've ever had altered and I vowed never to do it again. However, he did live to the ripe old age of 14, not sure if neuturing had anything to do with that.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Go to any AKC performance trial and most of the dogs there are spayed or neutered. They aren't fat or lazy. Dogs that do get fat or lazy usually would have done that anyway. I have neutered five of my own dogs and there was absolutely no change in their energy level.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
When we got Molly spayed she didn't changed one bit, she was just kind of out of it because of the meds. But after a few days she was back to herself.

We don't know what Tanner was like because he got him after he was neutered and didn't know him before.

Many factors can contribute to a dog being overweight, not as active, not jsut because the dog was altered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts