German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone here who runs a boarding kennel with real kennels? I have to board WD (15 months old) next month for 4 days, at his breeder so he must remember the place.
I have a hard time leaving him; we have never been apart since he was a pup so far, besides a few hours here and there.
I am curious what the behavior of the dogs is like when their owners leave. Are they restless or do they settle down easily once the owner is gone? Hope to get some inside information.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Last year I was able to leave Stella at her doggie day care. She was off her food a bit but ok otherwise. This past vacation I left her with her trainer who does private boarding for 12 nights. He said it took her about 5 days to finally relax and just be herself. Again, she didn't eat very well. I hate to leave her but it seems not to affect her in the long run. And I do need a vacation every now and then!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Radar LOVES boarding so much that we call it "camp" -- he does bark a lot, but really enjoys seeing his friends. He tends to come home somewhat exhausted. When we drop him off, he is so anxious to get to his run that he never even looks back at us!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Is there anyone here who runs a boarding kennel with real kennels? I have to board WD (15 months old) next month for 4 days, at his breeder so he must remember the place.
I have a hard time leaving him; we have never been apart since he was a pup so far, besides a few hours here and there.
I am curious what the behavior of the dogs is like when their owners leave. Are they restless or do they settle down easily once the owner is gone? Hope to get some inside information.
I have no kennels. The dogs are with me, in the house. I have a room with large crates and never take more than 3 or 4 dogs in at a time.

Most dogs are fine after the first day. I get one in that is a pain in the behind because once you crate him, he starts screaming. Super hyper and a holy terror.

But, most dogs are fine. The first day is iffy. I noticed that it helps that I have a working pack that invites the boarding dogs to play and romp around. It distracts them from their owners who just left.

On monday I get two German Shepherd from a friend and member of the K9 group I used to be with. I just got a dog from Canada, actual Canada, it was an emergency type of situation. Older Golden Retriever. She wanted to follow her owners and was on the door waiting for 10 minutes. Now she's laying underneath the table.

When I get dogs in, I make sure mine are crated so it's stress free for the new dog to come into the house and once I can see that the dog is fine, I let the one out that fits the temperament of the dog best.

Ever since I'm doing this, I've only had one dog that was seriously dog aggressive and had to be separated. Many shy and timid dogs that wouldn't come out of the corner for maybe half an hour, tucked tails etc. One day later they are romping around, playing and happy.
It is the effect of a working pack, it's almost therapeutic for these dogs because I do not expect anything out of them. They can actually be dogs.

Eventually I do want to have real outdoor kennels, indoor arena and multiple seperate runs but right now, I'm working with what I've got. That is the Sunroom for my own dogs, the guest room with four to five large crates for guest dogs and a huge backyard.

I did have a Husky that came for a week as day dog. After that, I've decided that Huskies are the only dogs I am not suited for. If they get out the door, they are gone. The Husky type breeds are the only one I'm discriminating against simply because I do not have secure kennels to keep the dogs from running off and so far I have not met a Husky that isn't a runner.

In this one you can see how my pack works with boarding dogs :)
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/273538-i-have-come-terms.html

However, if you have a dog that has only been in a kennel when he was a puppy and is otherwise a house dog. It can be quite the shock, depending how many dogs the breeder has and how stressful the environment is.

Indra is used to kennels from Germany but we've only had four outdoor kennels. When she went to Texas, before that she was in PA. She was in a HUGE kennel facility, I had no idea how big that place really was until I was told. And she did not do well in that environment at all. She also broke out on a daily basis in Texas and when she came back, she still had the scars from digging and working on the fence.
She's spend 24/7 with me. Here, she doesn't break out, even if she easily could. She is around me, and never really leaves my side. So yeah, it can be stressful for a dog, depending how relaxed the environment is. She never had issues in Germany, when she was in the kennel there and we do not have issues now.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Some are fine with it, but most are stressed, bark, pace, have diarhhea. Depending on how the kennels are set up can make a big difference. Can they see the other dogs, or do they have some privacy? Privacy is much better. How many dogs do they board..10 or 50? The noise can be deafening and cause more stress.

They all seem to live through it, but it is quite an ordeal for most dogs. I get housesitters for my dogs.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ava has boarded a couple of times, and will be boarding for nearly 3 weeks in July when I have to go overseas. She always boards at her daycare (which she goes to once a week or so and absolutely LOVES it). The first time she boarded she was a bit nervous the first night, but after that she has been fine. The women who run the daycare have said she is one of the best-behaved dogs there. I know that it is in big part due to the fact that we have taken her there for daycare at least once a week since she was 16 weeks old. She loves going there, and I never worry about her when she's there. :)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona has only been boarded once, when she started her heat on a day we were about to leave for a trip. It was for a long weekend. She did fine. She ate her food and no poop problems. Because she was in heat, I paid extra for TLC from the vet techs. She is such a sweetie that she got extra extra attention.

She had a large kennel, the size of a twin bed. I am going to have to board her when I take a cruise to Alaska, because the trainer said no to her being on a ship for a week.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Both trainers/breeders we've gone to also board dogs. I think they take on too many the the howling and barking is stressful. I've seen one of them put dogs in hot, dark rooms. And although they dog take them out for walks and such, there is basically no interaction.

We had to board our dog today for the first time. She's 7 weeks post-op from a surgery and we did not want to leave her home alone. We decided to board with our Vet. We figure anything goes wrong, they can treat her. It is a 24 hour vet so there's people coming and going. One of the vet techs I've known for years said he would check on her. They said she did OK, but she was always on alert and sometimes being around the other dogs can be stressful. So I think the advice from ponyfarm about having a bit of privacy would be good for long term boarding.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've worked in & run commercial boarding kennels for 20 years. In general Shepherds are not the best for long term boarding.(4 weeks or more). They generally are very worked up by all the dogs, noise, & activity. Most dogs will settle down in a day or two, but Shepherds will often become more anxious as time goes on. They often don't eat, have upset tummies, fence fight, & injure themselves by accident or on purpose. I have seen many who were helped by serious exercise-looong walks, training, swimming, & lots of fetch. There are a few other breeds who react this way to boarding also, but most are fine. I have also noticed that having your dog become comfortable with the place & people over several short stays or regular daycare is usually a big help.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't think anyone can answer how your dog is going to behave
when you leave him at the kennel. how could someone know
how your dog is going to behave? i think it's different for all dogs.
your dog maybe fine with being left there.

if i were going to leave my dog at a kennel i would introduce him
to it slowly. i would take my dog to the kennel and spend some time
with him there. then i would visit the kennel again and spend more time with him there. the next visit i would leave him there for a few hours
and the next visit i would him there longer than the previous visit.

>>>>> I am curious what the behavior of the dogs is like when their owners leave. Are they restless or do they settle down easily once the owner is gone?<<<<<

Hope to get some inside information.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone, I know it is impossible to predict. WD is a stable dog and it is at his breeder where he lived until he was 11 weeks old. At 13 weeks he spent a week there.
He may have some company but that is another thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts