German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Emma is now doing a new thing as she walks up to you, it's totally not aggressive, which is the good part, but recently when she walks up to yo she has her ear's straight back almost in a submission kind of mode. I don't know what is causing her to start doing this...But should I be concerned or is this a sign of submission? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally Posted By: SherushShe is showing you respect. Hubby, I and the cats are alpha to Jesse and his ears go back straight too to greet us.
So she is letting us know that she DOES know thet DF and I are alpha, she also does this with Elle the GSD mix, so I guess Emma has found her possition in our home!?!? Obviously a good thing!?!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
What is her tail doing? If it's low or tucked, I'd be concerned and work with her to gain confidence. If it's wagging, bend down and get some kisses! My female Lowen spends most time at home with her ears back and tail wagging while "smiling". She is a very happy girl. I love seeing Diesel do that, cause that means he is relaxed and happy.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Probably just a healthy "hi Mom, I love you, I love you" sort of approach.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: ZeusGSDWhat is her tail doing? If it's low or tucked, I'd be concerned and work with her to gain confidence. If it's wagging, bend down and get some kisses! My female Lowen spends most time at home with her ears back and tail wagging while "smiling". She is a very happy girl. I love seeing Diesel do that, cause that means he is relaxed and happy.
Her tail wags and there is always a nice friendly kiss that goes with it. I'm not sure if it count's as "smiling" but I get to see some pretty white bottom teeth, and sometimes more depending on how fast she approaches me.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Yup she respects you and loves you that is what Jesse does to, but with other extended family that don't live with us, but he loves is a different greeting, excitement and jumping around like an idiot, same way he would be with his litter mates that were equal. With parents he would probably greet like he does to us.

You are on the right track with Emma.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally Posted By: SherushYup she respects you and loves you that is what Jesse does to, but with other extended family that don't live with us, but he loves is a different greeting, excitement and jumping around like an idiot, same way he would be with his litter mates that were equal. With parents he would probably greet like he does to us.

You are on the right track with Emma.
Thanks, She seems to like most people, except, and this is what bothers me, she seems upset when she is around small children, I don't trust her, so if there is a kid around, she's on a leash...I think it's something about their (kids) size, that she can't figure out, because she is normally just around adults, guess I need to socialize her with more kids!?!? Elle loves everyone and wags her tail so hard and fast that her butt just wiggles everywhere, it's too cute!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Re: Behaviour question, should I be concerned?

Yup good idea to go to playground area, not that close but where she can sit and watch them and when you see her get comfortable and relaxed praise her and start moving forward. Find a child that you know will be gentle and have them hold a treat in there hand and let her go and get it and praise her.

Socialize, socialize, socialize, Jesse goes out every single day and socializes to new people and new places. We did hit a snag last week when a grandfather was in the park with is grandchild on his shoulder (two headed monster to Jesse) so I had the man help me get Jesse over his fear of them, with treats and showing Jesse nothing to fear I walked up to them, shook grandfather's hand, and child's hand and talking to them while Jesse watch from a distance he eventually came over to investigation, then was ok so I praised him at that point.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Originally Posted By: SherushYup good idea to go to playground area, not that close but where she can sit and watch them and when you see her get comfortable and relaxed praise her and start moving forward. Find a child that you know will be gentle and have them hold a treat in there hand and let her go and get it and praise her.

Socialize, socialize, socialize, Jesse goes out every single day and socializes to new people and new places. We did hit a snag last week when a grandfather was in the park with is grandchild on his shoulder (two headed monster to Jesse) so I had the man help me get Jesse over his fear of them, with treats and showing Jesse nothing to fear I walked up to them, shook grandfather's hand, and child's hand and talking to them while Jesse watch from a distance he eventually came over to investigation, then was ok so I praised him at that point.
Good Idea...There is a park near here I can take her and see how it goes. I know she adores the elderly, it's just kids, maybe cause they are loud or whatever...but I'll see what we can do.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

When you start socializing with children, make sure you set her up for success. Give her as much exercise as she can handle (not just a walk, chasing a ball is great and would take just 10-15 minutes to wear her out) and once she calms down feed her. Then she will be going in to the interaction with children relaxed. It's easier to keep it positive and calm then. Remember, loose leash and be relaxed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts