German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted a rescue pup GSD/Labrador mix. They say he's 2 yrs old, he weighs 59 lbs. I have a 1 acre land fenced in the country. If I open the door to let him out to do his bizness, or whatever, If I put him out by his-self he will not go off the porch. If I go out also he will do what he needs to. I've let him stay on the porch alone thinking eventually he will leave the porch, I've left him on the porch for 45 mins, peeking to see if he moves, he doesnt!
More odd behavior, he'll bring his fetch ball to me meaning he wants to go out & play. The 1st few times I throw the ball he'll bring it back to me. After that he'll walk past me & sit 6' away from me & play with the ball alone. If I move closer he'll move away. I do tell him to give me the ball, sometimes he does. After 30 mins of this I leave him & his ball & I go inside. Within 10 mins he's on the porch barking to get it. We seem to get along great other than this. I have been slack on his training, he knows "sit, lay down"& I thought he knew "give ball" apparently not :-(

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
He probably needs time, he's two years old and bewildered. The longer he is with you the more secure he'll feel. For now I would just go out with him and walk the property, let him get used to your life, patterns and habits. Have you tried giving him treats if he gives up the ball? He might appreciate the reward. Have fun with your new boy.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well, he'll go when you are outside. So take him out and pair a command word with him going to the bathroom. After he starts to go when you say the command, stop just short of his favourite spot. each time stop a little bit further from his spot. Do this very gradually and eventuallyyou will be able to open the door, give him the command and he will go to his spot and go to the bathroom.

As for the retrieving, he needs to be taught the components. One -to pick something up when you tell him. Two - to hold something in his mouth. Three-to give it you when you ask. Usually, the chasing is pretty much built in. If not, he needs to pick up a toy at your feet and give it to you. Slowly increase the distance.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My dog does the same thing. If he's outside alone, which is very rare, he won't leave the porch. He wants to be where we are, as most GSD's would, so one of us goes out with him. It's not a problem, and actually we prefer it that way. We wouldn't want him wandering around on his own, even though he has plenty of room to roam.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He probably needs time, he's two years old and bewildered. The longer he is with you the more secure he'll feel. For now I would just go out with him and walk the property, let him get used to your life, patterns and habits. Have you tried giving him treats if he gives up the ball? He might appreciate the reward. Have fun with your new boy.
He also had a major problem when we left him alone at home. He didnt tear anything up but when I got home he barked, yelped & made all kinds of noise. Now all he does is barked a couple times & try to jump up on me thats alot calmer than he was. I think maybe someone left him alone too many hours so he freaked out the 1st couple times we left. If I can I take him but I cant & wouldnt leave him alone in the car, he whines & goes nuts. I try not to leave alone more than a couple hrs, to his credit he has not went to the bathroom in the house.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recently adopted a rescue pup GSD/Labrador mix. They say he's 2 yrs old, he weighs 59 lbs. I have a 1 acre land fenced in the country. If I open the door to let him out to do his bizness, or whatever, If I put him out by his-self he will not go off the porch. If I go out also he will do what he needs to. I've let him stay on the porch alone thinking eventually he will leave the porch, I've left him on the porch for 45 mins, peeking to see if he moves, he doesnt!
More odd behavior, he'll bring his fetch ball to me meaning he wants to go out & play. The 1st few times I throw the ball he'll bring it back to me. After that he'll walk past me & sit 6' away from me & play with the ball alone. If I move closer he'll move away. I do tell him to give me the ball, sometimes he does. After 30 mins of this I leave him & his ball & I go inside. Within 10 mins he's on the porch barking to get it. We seem to get along great other than this. I have been slack on his training, he knows "sit, lay down"& I thought he knew "give ball" apparently not :-(
I can stand on the back porch & he'll go but he keeps checking to make sure I'm there. And once he's done he come to the porch to go in. I read somewhre its important to give a dog time to stand arounbd & smell outdoors the outdoors so I do.
Funny thing when I ask him to give ball when I have the ball in the "chuck-it thrower" he not at all interested in the treat he keep his eye on the ball. There's 2 ways I throw the ball, sling it sideways so it stays near the ground, so he runs 30' or more, or I bounce the ball off the ground then he catchs it in the air 3'-6'. I sure do LOVE my boy, my mom passed recently & other than him I'm alone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dog does the same thing. If he's outside alone, which is very rare, he won't leave the porch. He wants to be where we are, as most GSD's would, so one of us goes out with him. It's not a problem, and actually we prefer it that way. We wouldn't want him wandering around on his own, even though he has plenty of room to roam.
I have a large fenced-in yard but I didnt adopt him to leave him outside, I want him inside with me. He'll bring a ball to me which means either he wants to play or he needs to "do his duty" as my mom called it.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Several things here...

First, the dog is new to you and new perhaps to ever being outside alone.

Go out, walk around with him at night. Just spend time, preferably away from your porch, just hanging out after dark. He'll grow accustomed!

Also, keep in mind that everything you do with your dog IS training! Even a lapse, or lax, training! You ARE teaching the dog what you expect!!!

If you ever expect things to get better, issue commands less frequently perhaps, but ALWAYS enforce them once you do!

And this in no way means being upset or harsh, just calmly make the dog do what was asked!

Dog's don't understand language anyway. They understand success though! Set your dog up for success by learning how to show, celebratrate, and reinforce success, and your dog will turn out awesome!

·
Registered
38 Posts
My puppy also won't play fetch, because she hasn't mastered "drop it", she's got the other parts, but we have been at this for about three weeks now. She drops it every third or fourth time.

Partly, it's my fault because I was not consistent in the beginning. One thing I have notice with her is that she typically wakes up one morning and has mastered a command. For example, she went from 3 accidents a day in the house to none in a week. Then she was the same way with down. She'd do it in the house, but not outside. One day, she just understood.

I think sometimes they need more patience than what we think. My rescue hound does not play fetch and now I know it's because I never invested the time in him to teach him. I tried three times and decided he wasn't interested.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dog's don't understand language anyway. They understand success though! Set your dog up for success by learning how to show, celebratrate, and reinforce success, and your dog will turn out awesome!
Buddy & I played in the yard for 4 hrs today. We both learned a lot, your reply quoted above ^^^ really changed the way we interacted. I didnt have to give commands, I found we both communicated by action rather than words. He'd bring the ball back & lay beside me. After a couple of minutes he would push the ball in my direction. He'd let me pick up the ball by hand but if I tried to use the "chuck it" he'd grab the ball. We had so much fun today!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts