German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. We rescued a German Shepherd puppy that was 7.5 months old from an abusive house last June. He was always bitting when we got him and not listening. We continued to train him and he did much better. He started wagging his tail and giving kisses. He absolutely loves my husband. My husband has been the person to train him the most. He listens every time when my husband is around. When my husband is at work the dog bites me and our children, doesn't listen and gets protective over food and things that he takes that don't belong to him and he will growl at us, snarl and corner us. My husband says it's our fault for not training with him as much as he does. Is this true. Please advise.

·
Registered
868 Posts
the dog respects your husband and does not respect you...I suspect your husband is stern with his voice and doesn't let the dog get away with crap....he's at an age now where he needs to respect BOTH of you.....he must learn boundaries and both of you must be able to set these boundaries....is training and working with a dog a "part" of gaining the dog's respect--yes it is but it's only a part of why the dog respects your husband......

You can't continue to have the dog growl, snarl and "corner" you when your husbands not there....although you didn't say i suspect you're nervous and/or afraid around the dog and yes they sense that and will act on what they can sense from you.....

IMO you should find a one on one trainer to put eyes on you and the dog....and the way you interact.....finding the "right" trainer ...is...not...easy......the trainer should be familiar with the GSD breed and IMO the more dogs they've worked with successfully the better....if you've been on here reading before your first post you may have seen "balanced trainer".....that's what you need...there are times when training any dog where giving treats as a reward for being obedient is a good thing.....snarling, growling or cornering you or your kids is NOT however one of those times......I'd start looking for a trainer quickly.....BUT I wouldn't choose a trainer quickly...the time you spend now to find the right trainer will pay off in the end......good luck

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think that @Shane'sDad has got it right. FWIW, I also think that you and your kids need to do some training with the dog so that he respects all of you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The kids and I have done the same training with him as my husband. Maybe just not to the same extent. Recently, he's been showing more aggression towards one of my sons. He tries to keep him to one room. My husband says we should train with him more and that will fix the problem. I have done that and I'm not sure that will fix the problem. I have recently seen him check to see if my husband's near by before he does something bad. It's just frustrating. I have had other shepherds before I was with my husband and I raised and trained them and I never had any problems.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Kennel him and control the contact between him and your kids. Don't let him be in a position to guard over or contest for anything at all.Items, food, space, anything. This is not your fault. Things like this take time, but management that eliminates situations like your seeing is the biggest piece to me, because its the safest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts