German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY Lila (1 year old) was fixed 2 weeks ago and had tummy tacked. Had pyometra. Behavior changed for worse. She's very hyper and appears somewhat aggressive at dog park. I know people don't approve of them, but I'm 74 and can't get her much exercise. I recently started giving her Movoflex proactively. Any ideas? I thought they get tamer.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
She may not be fully recovered or feel well. Even though her stitches have healed, it takes a while to get used to the loss of hormones and other changes. It’s a myth that they get tamer after speuter. Behavior changes are more likely at 6 months or younger. My male was recently neutered and I was told it takes a least a month for the hormones to settle down. I don’t know if females react differently than males, though. Can you walk her or get someone to do it for you?

·
Registered
32,794 Posts
oh my goodness. Her body has been thru a lot in the last two weeks. She needs to rest and heal, not be at the dog park. Even though she was just fixed, the hormones are still in her body and there is a study that shows the imbalance of hormones can make aggression worse.

I would hire a dog walker for now until she fully heals.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh my goodness. Her body has been thru a lot in the last two weeks. She needs to rest and heal, not be at the dog park. Even though she was just fixed, the hormones are still in her body and there is a study that shows the imbalance of hormones can make aggression worse.

I would hire a dog walker for now until she fully heals.
Thank you for your response. How long should I wait?

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Is her incision healed already? I'd probably keep her exercise minimal for 6 wks at least. What did the Vet recommend?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
She's had the stress/trauma/pain of pyometra, as well as tummy tacking and desexing. I'm guessing she needs more time to recover.

·
Registered
75 Posts
By removing the female hormones(estrogen) some bitches(not most) will show more dominant behavior. I had a rottie who demonstrated more masculine behavior after spaying.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is her incision healed already? I'd probably keep her exercise minimal for 6 wks at least. What did the Vet recommend?
Her incision is healed. There is a little red in a part of the incision. I've decided to keep her activity level low with walks no dog park. She's gotten really hyper. That's why I took her to the dog park. No more dog park for a while. Some owners got annoyed at me yesterday. I took heed.

·
Registered
886 Posts
She also was probably on very limited exercise for the past 2 weeks and had a lot of pent-up energy to get out. Maybe try to do more brain games/brainwork versus physical exercise for another couple of weeks. And yeah definitely avoid the dog park (at least for now).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts