German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are taking a beginner novice class not with the intention of competing,but to keep progressing on Samson becoming more comfortable with people.I was hoping he would tolerate sitting and standing for exam by the end of eight weeks.The first week he backed away and made a horrible face.Week two horrible face but stood still.Fast forward to week five two trainers and two unfamiliar people touched him.He looked unhappy but didn't move a muscle :happyboogie:
Everything else is easy for him and he enjoys it so it looks like we will trial after all.It's been satisfying for me seeing his confidence grow.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Love that "everything else is easy for him". With just the one kink to work out, it must have made focusing and time given to it easier for you. Good job Samson! Bet you got a whole lot of "attaboy" pats.

Happy trial journey to you both.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Awesome, Dogma! I can relate, I have been practicing novice stuff too. I was thinking of starting with CDSP novice but that includes a judge walking around the dog in a stand stay and my boy is like "creeper alert! Creeper alert!" Why is this woman walking around me looking at me!!

He actually does better with the hand on the head in AKC beginner novice because now he knows that is "something people do"

Cant wait to hear how your trial goes!

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
That is so cool, you guys have been blazing many trails! A few weeks ago I watched some obedience trials. I saw one golden retriever take a nap when the owner left the room for 3 minutes- lol!!! Yeah creeper alert haha my same thoughts stranger danger and the dogs lying next to each other would be our challenge. Otherwise we would do it. We are practicing our long down stays. You guys will do great ! Much luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cowgirl and Jenny,your dogs may surprise you.If they can't do something now,if you continue to be patient and persistent they will do it soon.And yes,creeper alert!Lol!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'm cracking up at the mental image of the dog making a horrible face. I can picture it. It's the ultimate in disdain. German Shepherds are good at stinkeye.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Dogma I know you are right...we are practicing with my husband first, him walking around him

He has learned to be fairly tolerant of over the head petting... he doesnt have major people problems. When I had someone walk around him in a stand stay he broke his stay to swing around and remain facing her and I could tell because I know him that he was thinking "whst is she DOING"? I better keep an eye on this one. Whcih I am sure would be an NQ in the ring. So I thought, start with daddy, let him see thst people walking around you in a circle is something that happens.

Also I watched some videos of other people's novice runs and realiaed I had my helper walking way closer to him than she needed to. So that didnt help lol

Last time we practiced I stood next to him with him at heel instead of standing all alone while she walked around us and he was fine with that. I think he will get it...just need some more practice. Among other things his stand stays were kind of weak to begin with and I shouldnt have moved on without fixing that

I think we will start in CDSP because there are some judges that I know from WCRL Rally and they are so nice. I would like to move on to AKC at some point but the kid is young....I have many meany years with him and I know I will feel better about our first couple tries with judges I have met who are super nice people and really just want to help you succeed.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
AND I was using a foot target to help him for his stay but we have done a lot of circle pivots on the foot target so when he has his front feet on there he is already thinking to swing his butt around. Training fail, self!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AND I was using a foot target to help him for his stay but we have done a lot of circle pivots on the foot target so when he has his front feet on there he is already thinking to swing his butt around. Training fail, self!!!
Our trainer starts dogs that want to move by the handler next to the dog holding the collar,next facing the dog toe to toe,a foot away,etc.They usually break the stay at the exact same point each time.So you can watch for it and Eh!I'm learning a lot of little things that make big differences from this trainer.

I'm cracking up at the mental image of the dog making a horrible face. I can picture it. It's the ultimate in disdain. German Shepherds are good at stinkeye.
Lol!He was tipping his head back so his front teeth showed,squinting,and sticking his ears out sideways.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Thanks for the tip, dogma. We dont have classes to go to around here (another downside to living in the middle of nowhere), I started wrong but I am glad ehen I backed up to fix it I was kind of on base with what your class does.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I saw two golden retrievers lying next each each other they were staring right at each other with the owners across a room. I think I will pass on this lol. Max layed down to a female shepherd who was glancing and trying to smell him he just turned his head. I was there and so was the owner of the dog who was a trainer. Can't imagine another male and me at a distance- not sure if I would volunteer to be in that spot not right now anyway- lol! I am greatful there are other things we can do though! I will be excited to here your successes dogma!

·
Super Moderator
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw two golden retrievers lying next each each other they were staring right at each other with the owners across a room. I think I will pass on this lol. Max layed down to a female shepherd who was glancing and trying to smell him he just turned his head. I was there and so was the owner of the dog who was a trainer. Can't imagine another male and me at a distance- not sure if I would volunteer to be in that spot not right now anyway- lol! I am greatful there are other things we can do though! I will be excited to here your successes dogma!
There's so many fun things to do that that don't involve being close to other dogs!Samson's nemesis is people.He's not much for retrieving either.So if we can't muster up any enthusiasm for the dumbbell we'll move on to other things.Whatever we both can enjoy:)

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Jenny720 I am pretty sure "Preferred Novice" is equivalent to regular novice (Companion Dog title), but does not include group stays.

My dog really doesnt have dog problems but I am not wild about the group stays partly because I don't have a good opportunity to train for it and partly because if something ever did go wrong it just seems scary...

But I think you can trial for a PCD without any group stays

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
There's so many fun things to do that that don't involve being close to other dogs!Samson's nemesis is people.He's not much for retrieving either.So if we can't muster up any enthusiasm for the dumbbell we'll move on to other things.Whatever we both can enjoy
[/QUOTE

There have been a few people Max is leery he is good though with people for the most part but two he just does not like. My nerves Max would respond most to. Yes I like to try rally and still tracking. Herding and nose works is keeping us busy and obedience which we practicing haven't taken a class in awhile. Yes there is many activities which it makes possible to find ones niche!

·
Super Moderator
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went to our first trial today.Samson wouldn't let the judge touch him,which was a shame because he sailed through everything else with no trouble.An excellent performance.Except that one thing.Sigh.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I always feel that it is a learning/training experience when you go into the ring. Last time at an AKC show for Rally, I completely missed a sign with my young girl, after doing it with her mother just fine. Automatic DQ - handler error. Then in OB ring with mom, was worried about the stand for exam, as she loves people and wants to spin around when you touch her, to greet and give you kisses. Well, after a lot of work on the Stand for Exam, she blew the recall, by stopping 6 feet in front of me and sitting. Pleased with herself. :-D Of course, her flip finish was not here either as it's a jump and spin, but from that far away, she was still off to the side and in front of me. Thank goodness the next two days went better, but with a heat and breeding, we are still waiting on that final leg of her CD title... I know what we will be working on in the spring, without counting on everything else to fall into place :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts