German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
That is insane and I'd find a good laywer and take it to court claiming unconsitutional search and seizure of property. We need to get a handle on the illegal actions of animal control.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I used to leave the dogs outside if I had a short day and it was nice out. And then
First incident. I had a secure dog run inside a dog yard. I had, at that time, 6 fosters and my own 4 dogs. One of the fosters was an unspayed female in heat. I put her in the dog run with another female and a neutered male. Dog run was chain link, with roof and floor, double latch gate, solid bottom three feet up, 6x10. I left 4 dogs, all altered, in the dog yard. Large side yard, six foot wood on two exterior sides, garage at the back and 6 foot chain link between it and the backyard, double latch gate. I left the 3 remaining dogs, including my unaltered male, in the backyard. AC showed while I was gone to do a license check, entered my back yard and made an executive decision to move all 10 dogs to the dog run! No pups, spayed next day but seriously thought that 10 dogs were supposed to be in a 6x10 run.
Second incident my Dane was hanging out in the backseat of my car, in my yard. AC came onto my property, dragged her out of the car and took her. Neighbors repeatedly told them it was my dog, I was home, she hung out in the car all the time and wasn't going anywhere. Yard was fenced, gate was closed. I was in the shower and they were gone in less then 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Never ever ever are they outside alone without my bride or me at home.

A C being the least of my concerns, far too many things can go wrong and fast.

If we’re not around, the dogs free roam inside the home or they’re put in their room, until we return.

·
Registered
866 Posts
That’s incredible. I’m glad the family started the petition.

My dog would be deemed dangerous, too, because he wouldn’t allow a stranger to take him. lol

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
That makes me so angry! The neighbor waited for them to leave and did it on purpose. Otherwise AC would not have known.

·
Registered
489 Posts
A neighbor was scared of a dog that was in his own yard? Unbelievable that they would have the nerve to remove him! I don't leave my dogs out when I'm not home and I live well away from neighbors thank God!

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
More reasons to keep dogs (crated) inside when gone
It has been 20 years since I left a dog outside unattended. Between AC and the vast number of sick, weird and slimy people on this planet I simply don't feel comfortable doing so. Sad for the dogs who can no longer waste days lazing in the fresh air while awaiting our return.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I would be interested in knowing how Animal Control actually picked up the dog. Did they have to noose the dog or did they just go in a leash the dog up? If it was the latter, clearly the dog wasn't dangerous. I wouldn't have a dog that someone could walk away with. That doesn't mean such dogs are bad dogs. Some dogs like that can be exceptional, but I don't think a GSD should be of that type of temperament.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would be interested in knowing how Animal Control actually picked up the dog. Did they have to noose the dog or did they just go in a leash the dog up? If it was the latter, clearly the dog wasn't dangerous. I wouldn't have a dog that someone could walk away with. That doesn't mean such dogs are bad dogs. Some dogs like that can be exceptional, but I don't think a GSD should be of that type of temperament.
From the article: "According to a neighbor who had witnessed the incident, Leo had been on the family's property "under the porch" when "Environmental Services approached him." They reportedly "tased the dog and dragged him to the vehicle."

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I looked at the update where it showed a photo of the dog which looked BYB and I doubt he was dangerous at all. Sounds like Animal Control were the dangerous ones. A tased dog that was dangerous would not likely let anyone drag him anywhere unless he was out.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Our english bully would go along without an issue.. Well.. that's if you could drag his 65lb butt, not due to him being aggressive, but because he wouldn't want to move from under his bush or off the deck lol..

Karma on the other hand, you would have to catch her first, and I'm pretty positive if you hoped my fence and tried grabbing her, you wouldn't like what would happen.

Thankfully i have amazing neighbors, however if i had a neighbor who pulled this type of stunt, more than likely would a lawyer would be sending him and AC a letter

·
Super Moderator
4,814 Posts
How in blue blazes does a municipality get to decide that a dog is dangerous if it has never attacked anyone or anything?
Thanks for reminding me that if we ever relocate to check the animal control laws before buying property or renting an apartment. sheesh

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Not only is this a crazy insanely sad story but I wonder how the dogs temperament has changed from being tased and held by AC in probably a negative light since they deemed him aggressive. Poor dog. I would have lawyers crawling up the butts of every city official I could. I would be suing the city for animal abuse, trespassing and theft of personal property. If the dog wasn't aggressive it probably is now due to abuse by AC.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I think they do carry tasers, or at least are allowed to? I think some carry guns too, it's totally dependent on location. Here, it's all done by police so of course they carry guns, tasers, batons and don't know much about dogs or animal law.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Wow, just wow! This certainly is not the same article that I read regarding this incident. The one I read stated that Leo was incredibly aggressive. His owner died before Leo was freed. A veterinarian stepped up to the plate to give Leo a home on his farm. It took awhile for Leo to bond to him and he will tolerate other animals on the farm but he remains unapproachable to strangers.... unless there are two German Shepherds named Leo that were recently sprung from animal control.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts