German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a young GSD. Today i was enjoying a lager and he started begging So a poured about two ounces into his bowl and he sucked it right down. I'm sure letting him drink a whole beer would be bad in some way, but a little splash as a treat can't hurt him... can it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Not sure, and I'm sure others will speak up but I personally wouldn't do it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,368 Posts
My dogs name is Masi and she is an alchoholic:)

I rarely drink, my husband doesn't drink, but that girl is VERY attracted to booze..especially beer..She's come to different outings with me, and she will 1. gravitate towards any man who has booze on his breath, the drunker the better and 2, will slug your beer down in a second if you don't watch it.

With that said, i do not encourage it at all..I'm sure a sip here and there wouldn't harm them but I just don't do it.

I wonder if there is AA for dogs? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,828 Posts
Dogs like the taste of beer, but that doesn't mean you should let them do it. It's about on the same level as letting a little kid have a drink.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,951 Posts
Bad idea, but yes my two love going to my in-laws because they are all drinkers and never put their glasses up high enough. Neither go for wine, but beer is definitely something I watch them like hawks around. Alcohol isn't great for us so it should be obvious it's not good for them either, they weigh less than us intensifying the effect, and they have slower metabolisms than we do. No more beer is my vote no matter how cute their begging face is:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
I'm sure they would enjoy the taste of chocolate too. :thinking:

what would posses someone to give their dog alcohol?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
I wouldn't give my puppy or dog alcohol. I read in one of my books that it's really poisonous or can cause harm to a dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
remember spuds mackenzie? "she" died of renal failure.. but she also lived to be 10y/o
but i cant say much... when i was a teen my buddy and i got his chihuahua high... <hides>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
Neither my hubby nor I drink, but my brother had a very bad habit of giving small amounts beer to Miikka. I’d get soooo mad at him!! I think he understands now, though, that it’s not a very good idea!

If I were you, I wouldn't do it anymore. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Many people can say it's bad.. But what's the scientific facts??

My doctor tells me too much liquor will kill my liver over time.. But my drinking level poses no threat: 24 pack every month. But a gallon of vodka a week.. Different story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,951 Posts
LOL @Whiteshepherds. Alcohol damages the liver, kidneys, and heart- it's a fact. A little here and there is probably not going to chip away at your or your dog's health, but genetically some people and other animals like our beloved dogs are more sensitive to certain things. Dogs process foods differently than we do which is why citrus, chocolate, avocado, grapes, and other foods that are good for us are deadly for them- beer is just not meant for dogs it's kinda common sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Look it up on the internet, there's lots of info about how it's toxic to dogs.....but really what's the point of giving your dog beer? I mean really, does he just refuse to eat his pizza without it or what? :)
The Internet is by far not the best source of information to a point. Y'all are saying it's bad and/or toxic. But what's the real reason? Is it like peanuts? Some people can eat em all day, no issues. Otheres swell up and can die in minutes because they are simply alergic.

What's the point in just giving your pup water and dry food it's whole life? I know salad and steaks are good for me with a small glass of red wine with at least half my body weight of water measured in oz. However I enjoy my glass of beer an slice of cake.

Now I agree what is the point in giving a pup alcoholic beverages? We have no idea if they like, crave, want, need some beer.

I personally wouldn't give my pet liquor..I like it too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
I had a friend who gave his Labs. beer all the time.

Cost him a few grand to have the beer caps removed from the dogs stomach since the caps smelled and tasted of beer...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
Being that Titon is "German" and I am as well, I give him a bottle of Jaggermeister every day. Helps to calm his high energy.

-E





If any one thinks I'm serious, you need some skills in humor and common sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,951 Posts
We know dogs don't need beer since beer is not a nutritional staple needed by anyone, you can't crave what you've never had, and while some dogs like the taste it is poisonous to them like chocolate and other foods they just can't tolerate in large quantities. Don't need to worry about internet reliability with that.

If you want to add variety in your dogs diet add in some low sodium chicken or beef broth, wet food, home cooked, canned tuna or salmon, eggs, and healthy table scraps into his kibble. I'm not anti alcohol exactly but with a dog it should be an automatic duh moment that they shouldn't be drinking it....and their not 21;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,874 Posts
The Internet is by far not the best source of information to a point. Y'all are saying it's bad and/or toxic. But what's the real reason? Is it like peanuts? Some people can eat em all day, no issues. Otheres swell up and can die in minutes because they are simply alergic. .
Oh I'm sorry, saying it's toxic, that was the fake reason...you caught me. The real reason is because they don't have thumbs so they can't twist the caps off, and there's nothing more frustrating than being home alone with a bottle of beer you can't open. A frustrated GSD is not a pretty picture, best to avoid it at all costs. :D
[/QUOTE]
 
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Top