German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new to this site :) I have 2 dogs, one a 6 year old GSD/Belgian Mal. female, and brand new 13 week old (full bred) GSD puppy... Molly is the girl, and Ferguson is the male.. they both LOVE each other, and sleep together at night and at nap times...they play, but.. Ferguson, my full bred GSD, plays way to hard with Molly.. he bites her, neck, ears, legs, etc.. draws blood :/ and she has not corrected him with any snaps/bites back.. he is almost half her size, maybe a little more.. and he is growing fast. I have been working on bite inhibition, and he has been getting better with humans, but with Molly, he hasn't stopped being so rough.. she has been too gentle with him? I will be taking Fergus to puppy kindergarten this week, any tips :)?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
IMO, Molly will put Ferguson in place when she's had enough...

Ferguson is still teething and has those sharp baby teeth :eek:
(Once his adult teeth come in it won't cut her skin so much)

Training is a good idea.
It's great that they get along so well together :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yep, I second that. Spirit is 5 months and Daisy is 12 years. I cringe sometimes watching how Spirit plays with her. He must still have his puppy license :wild: But I trust Daisy implicitly, she will let him know when she's had enough. It's great that your two get along so well, your pup will learn a lot from Molly. Besides that, Molly can take the hits for you LOL ... there's absolutely no way I could play with Spirit the way Daisy plays with him.

I just watch :)

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:O Ohh those teeth! LOL

Thank you for the advice, I was starting to get frustrated (and since Molly is my first baby, I was feeling so bad for her) I noticed the other day, SHE actually INSTIGATES some of the play! lol but when she's tired of it and he wants to keep going, she just jumps up on one of the couches... but now Fergus has gotten big enough to get up there, too! lol

·
Registered
780 Posts
What a joy it is to see our older dogs instigate play with our new puppies, yes?

Daisy is such a great role model for Spirit. I struggled for a long time with the decision to bring a puppy into her world, I couldn't have imagined it would work out as well as it is. I love seeing this side of my Daisy ... after 12 years I thought I knew her inside and out. She amazes me still :wub:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
What a joy it is to see our older dogs instigate play with our new puppies, yes?

Daisy is such a great role model for Spirit. I struggled for a long time with the decision to bring a puppy into her world, I couldn't have imagined it would work out as well as it is. I love seeing this side of my Daisy ... after 12 years I thought I knew her inside and out. She amazes me still :wub:
Thats so sweet! :wub:...love the photo!

Yes, it is great to watch them interact! Our older dog loves the pup...it put a new 'spring in her step'. :) She's like a mom to this pup.

It's great for the younger one as well.... Best friends ! :)

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I woke up this morning, I had both of them snuggled up against me lol. Molly has always been my baby, but since we got Fergus, she has grown up A LOT lol.. and I see a bit of responsibility showing in her.. when I take Fergus potty, if his little nose carries him away, I look at Molly and say "go get Fergus" and she runs right to him and he chases her back lol, that half of shepherd shows in her :)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
That's really great!! Our mutt (who grew up with my male GSD) acted like "mom" to my female shepherd, too. They lived well as a pack. When I lost my shepherds, the mutt was just lost. She got really depressed. I got a Pug, and she seems much happier! I swear, she recognizes the word "shepherd" because when we're talking about the upcoming boy and say that she gets even more playful and excited. She's not young, either... but I think she's wondering about all this "shepherd" talk and waiting for her pack mates to show up. Even with her age, I think she'll be much like your girl. She puts up with a lot from my Pug, and when she's had enough she lets her know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts