German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Summer's grown up now and she's a lot faster at catching things and I've noticed the last few days she's chasing bees and wasps quite a bit.

I know she's been stung once or twice before and she had no reaction but can it become a problem? Thanks!:)

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I know last September max got stung be a bee on his face and his whole muzzle was swollen the vet told me to give him a Benadryl and bring him in for a Benadryl injection. I know you want to make sure the stinger is out and you need to be careful there is not enough swelling that causes blockage to the airway. Always have Benadryl at hand. It's good Summer had no reaction but you never know. I would give Benadryl either way if stung.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Depends on the dog ... I know of a Boxer ... Bella that dropped dead of a Bee sting while on the vets property, Vet Tech and her dog came to work to work with her every day. Nothing could be done to save her, sometimes "Boxers" just suck! :(

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know she's been stung a couple of times. Got a little fat lip out of one but no reaction so I won't give drugs. My last GSD routinely killed and ate over 10 per day in the spring time when the cherry trees in bloom like now.... my X (lol Texas guy) said "ya'll can't let Smoke do that way - It'll build up toxins like a snake". But, he did it and lived to be 14.5.

I guess that's my real question - is this an old wive's tale? It certainly wasn't true with my last GSD.??

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of the things I always have in the house is a length of aquarium tubing I purchased from the pet shop. I take a lighter and burn/melt the end so it's not sharp or rough. That hangs inside my front door closet in case of emergencies for blocked airway. It's tough enough that you can have a chance to save your dog until you can get him to an emergency vet.

I have had total blockage of airway myself 3 times and it's a horrible experience. Once, totally embarrassing - in a restaurant - heimlich maneuver saved me, once in my home - husband panicked and slugged me on the back lol but it worked (luckily) and the last time I was home alone. I knew instantly I was in big time trouble and ran out the front door, couldn't get the gate unlocked (to get to a neighbors) so I tried to hop it (and inadvertently preformed the heimlich on myself on the gate!) Someone was watching out for me!

Anyway, I recommend having a length of this tubing for breathing emergencies for human and dog - melt the end so it's not sharp though.....

·
Registered
368 Posts
depends on the individual dog and where they get stung.my boy got stung on the eye and his face blew up like a balloon. i called the vet and the told me to wait a day and see how i go as the eyes are one of the quickest healing parts of the body.
the next day you wouldn't even know he got stung.
my neighbors bulldog got stung on his armpit and that took months to recover from with vet assistance.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, she's sharkin' them and hunting them. I don't think one will get around her head without her knowing. She's taken on the same method for hunting them my last GSD did. You hear a snapping noise of their teeth with their lips up.... like a russian roulette I guess. can the teeth bite b-4 the sting deploys.... today she got 2 and didn't get stung. My last GSD used to eat the bodies - she so far does not.

But, I've noticed, later in Summer - they get downright aggressive and even if I swat at one, they'll back off and come right back with attitude.....

Has anyone heard that accumulative bee or wasp stings can be harmfull to a dog??

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
I've wondered the same thing as Hans goes after every flying, buzzing insect he possibly can. :(
I'm not sure if they are like some humans who, over time, have a worse reaction with each sting.
As a kid, a wasp sting hurt, but wasn't anything life threatening. Over time my reaction to stings got a little worse until the last time I was stung-probably 8 years ago-my throat started to close. Thank goodness for benedryl. I now carry an epi-pen.
Hopefully, someone from the veterinary field might chime in.
I'll try to remember to ask my vet next time I am there...

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
By and large it depends on the dog?? Struddell swelled up like the Michelin once?? We rushed her to the Vet, he gave her an injection of something can't remember what but she was fine afterwards.

No idea what that was about, Bees or Ants possibly?? We got lucky you just never know.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Midnite has a thing for bees, especially bumble bees. I find myself in the yard quite often playing hot potatoe with them to throw them over the fence. He has even found a couple nests. I'm sure he has been stung, but he has never swelled up or anything. My golden Tannor got stung and you would have thought the world was ending(he is a drama king). I gave him Benadryl and iced his leg, he soaked up the pampering

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I got a call at work from my husband one afternoon and he told me to come home right away, that something was wrong with our first dog, Max. I got home and ran in the house and saw my boy with his head so swollen that his eyes were slits. I gave him a benedryl but was still afraid, so we took Max to one of those emergency hospitals. I think they gave him several injections and asked us to wait so they could make sure he was OK. The vet asked what happened and we didn't know, there had been no change in food or anything like that. She said it was probably bee sting (s), that her own dog had eaten a bee and reacted like Max. She advised me to always keep benedryl on hand and if something like that happened again, to give several rather then one. She told me some incredible amount (don't remember exactly how many) that he could safely have in a day, based in his body weight which was 90 pounds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts