German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all--

Leo has gotten into something...

I think he may have been stung by a bee but his muzzle isn't fully swollen...it is swollen and firm and extremely sensitive and the actual bump is in his whiskers and slightly white (almost like an ingrown hair---can dogs get those???).

Eating, drinking, moving, jumping, napping as normal; no noticeable discomfort anywhere else on body and VERY velcro-y!

We have a vet appt tomorrow AM to fully check it out.

If it is a bee sting, any extra things I should do (or avoid) here or at vet (medicine-wise).

It is is his first real injury (small injury :-( and I am such a mama-bear!


I hope the pics help :) Any advice is appreciated!!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
That looks just like my Ben looked when he got stung by a bee. I would give him some Benadryl to help with the pain and swelling. 1mg/lb.
Good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,021 Posts
I would give Benadryl in the mean time. You aren't to far from me and I have tons of bees this year. When I took the tarp off the pool there were about 10 wasp nests. I have gotten rid of all of them except for one. Misty went under the pool stairs and started barking, I went over and there was another nest. I don't want to kill the bees, I just want them to find a new home. Midnite chases them and he had a small mark on his muzzle that might have been a bee, but I'm not sure. Other then that I don't know how none of the dogs or humans have gotten stung. I have a bumble bee nest somewhere too, haven't found that yet.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,417 Posts
Could be a spider bite too so it's probably good to go to the vet. Mine got nailed by what is called "a common brown house spider" right around this time of year. He not only had the bump with white on the end (like an ingrown hair) but his stomach felt really tight and I could tell he was not comfortable and more was going on.... if it is one of these buggers that might be the deal.

These spiders are pretty common in all states. My vet sighed when I walked Smoke in - No calls for this problem for 11 months of the year than 24 calls in one Monday by dogs that had these symptoms over one weekend. He put my pup on antibiotics (routine for the brown spider bite) and some topical ointment for the area the poison was coming to a head at.... everything all better.:)

If your vet suspects it is one of these spiders... If you want to know what they look like - have you ever found a light tan colored rather large spider in your bathtub before... specifically at this time of year? That's probably one... and who really cares, but only the females bite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
If it's a bee sting check the lump for the stinger. You don't want left in him. Other than that, Benadryl and a bit of antiseptic ointment works well. Good news is it doesn't appear that Leo has a major allegic reaction to the sting. My Jazz got stung by a bee and went into anaphylactic shock within the first 5 minutes. Scary. Luckily the vet was just around the block and they could give her an antidote shot.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top