German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is picking up his new Duck Toller next weekend and has a lot of questions as a first time dog owner. One that I can't remember the answer to is, should the puppy have bedding in the crate when not supervised? I actually didn't have to deal with that as my guy was 15 weeks when I got him and never was a chewer. I'm thinking an old towel, maybe from the breeder's place would be a good idea, but if puppy chews pieces off that is a major health problem.
Here's a peek at Nova for all of you with chronic puppy fever.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I used a old t-shirt or towel. I wouldn't use bedding until I knew he was properly crate trained and a non-chewer. Once he started teething beware of holes in your shirts!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Cuteness factor indeed!!! I put a big stuffed toy (bear or something) with my pups. They slept with it until one day it came out to play and got tore up. But each pup had his for quite awhile.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
One pup never touched the bedding, one pup chewed it to bits. So an old towel would probably be the best item to go with. I also put a stuffed toy in with both of them and funny, neither one of them chewed it! They used it like a pillow and littermate.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I put beding in Molly's crate from day 1 and she didn't destroy it for months!

Awwww Nova is super cute!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I had two chewers, so at first there was no bedding unless we were home. So at night they had a crate pillow, but if we left during the day and the dogs stayed home, we took the pillows out. Once they figured out what was okay for chewing (it didn't take long), they got bedding when unsupervised.

Kind of a side note, if you take the crate pillow out, don't put it on the floor right next to the crate. I did this with Rosa and she pulled it partway in through the wire wall of her crate and tore it up pretty good.

·
Registered
636 Posts
We used a towel and one of my tshirts.

I have been meaning to get her some bedding for her crate to make it more comfy, just haven't done it yet. She doesn't seem to mind sleeping on an old blanket or a towel though in the crate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts