German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas for what to do about some patches that are appearing on Rocky's elbows. The fur is missing and they look irritated. Not bleeding yet but I don't want it to get to that point. I believe it's from laying on the floor, which is wood. He has a huge orthopedic dog bed that he will not sleep on. (Waste of over a hundred bucks.) He either lays on the couch or on the floor. I've tried putting down towels and blankets and he won't lay on them either. I wonder if maybe he's losing sensitivity?

·
Registered
31,578 Posts
elbow callouses? Silver Shield seemed to help Jax's. You have to put it on regularly though

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're not callouses, they're definitely red and irritated. I will check out the Silver Shield, thanks.

·
Registered
31,578 Posts
Then definitely use the Silver Shield Gel from Nature's Sunshine. It was instant relief for Jax when hers were red and inflamed and it dries quickly. I just put a cone on her for a few minutes after I apply it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I am following this thread.

My dog typically moves between his extra-large “orthopedic” bed and the hardwood floor throughout the night.

Sometimes, our cat stakes out a central position on his bed and he is too “polite” to insist that the cat move so he can fit on it too… lol. Other times, the cat and dog are both on the bed.

But, even when the cat is not a factor, I have noticed that Riley tends to rotate between the bed and the floor throughout the night - I think it has a lot to do with the bed being “hotter” and the floor “cooler, ” so, he switches it up.

Riley does have a small callous on one of his elbows.... I haven’t really been worried about it, but interested in hearing more about what folks apply to avoid those callouses/raw spots.

Jax: I will be looking into the product you recommended :)

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Funny you should mention the bed versus the floor. Fritz literally HUGS the toilet all night, its much cooler! I too have beds, in the bedroom, the den, he prefers the toilet and ceramic floor.

·
Registered
9,564 Posts

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seriously if I put more pills in his food he'll have more pills than food.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Funny you should mention the bed versus the floor. Fritz literally HUGS the toilet all night, its much cooler! I too have beds, in the bedroom, the den, he prefers the toilet and ceramic floor.
Hondo will sleep in our marble shower, or hugging the toilet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts