German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm about to adopt a 1 1/2 year odl GSD mix.

Silly question, but what are your opinions on crate pads and beds?

For the first few months, I will probably crate him during the day (1-3 days a week, for 8 hours, with me coming home for lunch in between) Until he can be trusted to roam the house.

Should the dog sleep in the crate? Why or Why not?

Is a Crate pad the same thing as a bed? Do the beds "work" inside a crate?

I know these are stupid questions, so please be gentle =)

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
They're not stupid at all.

At that age, he's probably past the chewing stage, and therefore some kind of soft stuff in the crate would be fine. You can buy crate pads/beds--or just fold up an old blanket or towel. (easier to wash and less to loose if he chews it up.)

Sleeping in the crate---again, with a 1.5 year old dog, you're in uncharted territory. Most dogs that age would not need to sleep in a crate at night, they'd just sleep on the floor next to you. A pup, for sure, should be in a crate. So you'll just have to see how this guy does in a crate after you get him--if he needs it, or if he tolerates it. Do you know if he is already crate trained?

You can put a bed in a crate...if it fits. They come in all sizes. My vote is don't invest any money into anything fancy until you see how he does in the crate, and with things he can destroy. Start with a blanket or towel and see how it goes. Then upgrade to something that matches the decor.

Good luck with the new guy!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, from what I know, the foster home only crates her occasionally, and she doesn't seem to mind it. But most of the time she is roaming around the house. I just thought the logic was that if she sleeps in the crate, she won't mind spending time there during the day (on certain days) and will see it as a safe haven, rather then confinement.

If there is no benefit, I would just as soon have her sleeping by our bed.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Your logic is exactly right. Dogs should see the crate as their personal spot to chill. Perhaps have the crate in your bedroom...then she can sleep in there a night or two, and then you can put her in there and just leave the door open (but close the bedroom door).

The "benefit" of the crate is primarily in the puppy months---to quicken housebreaking, to have a place to put pups so they don't chew the remote control, and to train them early that being crated isn't torture...because the may have to be crated off-and-on throughout their lives--for traveling, vetting, etc.

If your new girl is cool about the crate, and you quickly see that she's trustworthy (first at night, then when you're gone), I see no reason to make her stay in a crate. But you can always keep it available to her for when she wants to get away from activity, or if you need to crate her for a repair man, etc.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Actually, I like comforters, big fluffy comforters that I can fold to fit exactly right, and when they get dirty, I pop them into the washer.

For dogs that aren't crate trained (like my little pup), I use sheets. I have to wash them too often, and comforters use up too much room in the wash. She'll get a comforter once she's 100% reliable in her crate.

You may have some of these lying around your house. Give your dog your old one and get yourself a well-deserved new one. Or pick up a couple at garage sales or thrift stores.

I don't ever use towels. Too many threads that can be scratched loose too easy without you ever noticing. (You'd notice a torn sheet) I know someone whose puppy died of bowel obstruction from a towel used as a crate pad. So I stay far away from those, and I inspect my crate padding very frequently. ANY sign of shredding/chewing, and the dog sleeps on the floor of the crate until s/he is older. But that's ok. Right now, my pup pushes her sheets out of the way most nights to sleep on the floor because it's cooler.

And I like the way you're thinking -- I like crating dogs until/unless I'm 100% confident that they won't get themselves into any trouble, or worse, get themselves into any harm. Then they can have free run of the house (but mine still have their crates. They like them for naps, bedtime, and to just hang out in. Who am I to take them away?
)

Congratulations on your new family member, by the way!

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are never stupid questions... you would be more foolish if you didn't ask! Anyways... i'm not an experienced gsd owner however i've owned dogs all my life and I do know that puppies/younger dogs will 90% of the time, trash what ever is in their crates. Every single one of my dogs chewed their blankets, beds etc. I personally would wait until the puppy is house broken until you put a bed or blanket in their, especially if your going to crate your dog for multiple hours.

Also, crating your dog only 3 days a week is very inconsistent. You got to be consistent. Every dog i have owned have been crate trained and they eventually get comfortable with the crate, and you will then find them going into the crate by themselves when they want to rest/sleep.... its a home to call their own!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the reason I say 3 days a week, is because my Fiance only works 3 days a week, so the other days she will be home, so there would be no reason to put the dog in a crate.

I'm hoping I can let her have the run of the house fairly quickly. What do you think I should do?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I think you've got a good plan, JohnnyR. New dog in the crate when she's by herself. When you or the Fiance are home, the dog is with the person--where she should be. The crate is the safe spot for when nobody can be with her. The dog is lucky to have owners that can be there that much!

Perhaps what Robo meant is that you wouldn't want to sometimes leave her alone in the crate, and sometimes leave her alone NOT in the crate (at least for now)--that would be inconsistent. And dogs like routine. But when people are home and able to be with the dog, the dog should be with you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh ok, yeah, that makes sense. That was my plan, if we are not home, she will be in the crate, at least in the beginning. She would never be in the crate when we are home, except when sleeping. (and the door would d be open obviously)

My next question is, how do I start easing her into having the house to herself? should I even try?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Give her a few weeks just to acclimate to the new place, new people, etc. before expecting too much or pushing too much on her.

When you think she might be ready to have some freedom outside the crate when you aren't home, do it gradually. Start by giving her free access to just one room. (obvioulsy, take up anything that is priceless or poisonous, just in case) Then leave her in there and go away for half an hour. If that goes okay, then give her an hour. When she can be trusted in that room for four hours, then give her another room. Keep making her world bigger one room at a time. If she has slip-ups, just move back a step. You're never going to completely get rid of the crate--because hopefully she'll like it, and it will come in handy. So you always have that to fall back on as a safe place if you need to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts