German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I will be starting an apprenticeship of sorts with a former co-worker who owns, trains, and handles narcotic detection dogs with his wife. We have talked about me working with them for awhile but due to some unforeseen circumstances we hadn't been able to make it work out. Well it looks like it will actually be happening!

I'm looking for whatever tips and experiences that y'all may have for starting out in the training and handling detection dogs?

Many thanks in advance!

Start listening to some podcasts like Working Dog Radio, Controlled Aggression and K-9 Talking Scents. Of course, what you learn from these broadcasts will only be scratching the surface.

Registered
Congratulations! But if you put 4 trainers together and ask them how they train x, you're very likely to get 4 different answers. If it were me, I'd just wait and learn all you can from the trainer you'll be working with. Good luck, it'll be a blast!

Registered
Congratulations! But if you put 4 trainers together and ask them how they train x, you're very likely to get 4 different answers. If it were me, I'd just wait and learn all you can from the trainer you'll be working with. Good luck, it'll be a blast!

This! There are a millions ways to teach things. It's not that one way is better than the other, just different people like different styles. Most will work if you stick to one program. At least in the beginning when you're learning. Knowledge is good, too much at once can be bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts