German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember my 2 (?) yr. old shelter rescue, Heidi, who came home with me back in mid-September. Well, within less than 3 months she has blossomed into a first rate
Farm Dog who now likes all the animals, gets along fine with the house cats, has learned
and respects her boundaries and her behavior just keeps getting better all the time.

She was quite a wild and wooly critter initially, wound tight, and had little exposure out in
the world. If I had to guess I'd say she lived in a coop or closet and rarely got to run and play
like a normal dog. Plus she was severely malnourished and underweight, having just finished
nursing a litter of puppies.

Luckily she had a cute face and a friendly, if hyper, personality w/ people. So I took a chance on her. It's amazing how she has developed. Put her on a raw diet and her coat started growing
and now shines and is actually soft instead of wirey. Even her toenails got wider and harder.

She now has manners, is not so pushy, and I can trust her running loose around the farm
as she has a decent recall, understands the word NO, and she likes to have me in her sight
most of the time.

I haven't had her DNA done yet but I suspect she is a GSD possibly Husky mix. Initially her
independent side seemed to confirm the Husky part, but she is coming around as we've
bonded.

I just wanted to tell folks that there's a lot of potentially GREAT GSDs or mixes at shelters
just waiting to have a great life if given a chance.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, I don't have a working camera or modern phone. I will see if I can get my son to take some with his phone.
Each time I've posted about her nice folks ask for a picture so I need to do this. I think she's the most beautiful
dog around, but she might not be so photogenic. (wink) We'll see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts