German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say something in general and I hope some of you don't take it the wrong way.

Some people on here are so scared that something could happen to their dog that I wonder how they get through the day or wonder if they'd be as paranoid about their children as they are about their dogs.

Seriously, doesn't matter if collars, crates, leaving them in the garden. There is always somebody that says "Don't do it, they could kill themselves." and then I am always answering "We've had dogs for over 30 years and nothing ever happened, no dog ever choked himself to death."

Can't we agree that common sense plays a roll too?

Just because I got run over by a car when I was 13 years old and was in a wheelchair for a year doesn't mean that your kid will be run over by that age too and therefor shouldn't be riding a bike anymore. It's the same concept. Would you forbid your daughter to ride a bike just because you know somebody that got literally run over and sat in a wheelchair?
Do you stop driving cars because there are so many accidents on a daily basis?

Yet you are completely paranoid when it comes up to a dog. Oh, don't have the wear choke collars they could choke themselves to death. Oh, don't leave them in the garden, they could hang themselves or get stolen. Oh, don't leave them alone at home, they could eat something they shouldn't.

That is what is happening here and I am getting tired of that kind of mentality "Oh, it happened to my dog, it'll happen to yours too."

NO! It'll NOT happen to my dogs just because it happened to yours.

There is a life out there, how about you start living it instead of worrying constantly about what could happen to the dogs.

And if it happens, it was ment to happen but I REFUSE to live my life in fear about what could happen to my dogs. If I ever get that paranoid and I start locking my dogs away in crates for more than ten hours a day I hope I wake up and do something about it. You don't lock your kids into a crate just because they could do something at home like playing restaurant and turn on the oven and almost burn down the house (which we did as kids by the way so it could but just because we did it doesn't mean that others do it too)

That's my point. There are so many coulds & if's but it never means that it does happen and some of you make it sound like it WILL happen but that is not the case.

COMMON SENSE, COMMON SENSE, COMMON SENSE!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm really paranoid about my kids and my animals but seriously some people take it overboard. Kids are kids. They get hurt! Its part of growing up. Puppies are very similar and seem to take great joy in hurting themselves to freak us out. Its what they do!!! Is it stressful? heck yeah!

My dogs collars ONLY come off for baths. They go into their crates with them on. They dont wrestle and get jaws caught in the collar. We require they wear their collars at all times. We can actually get in trouble if our dogs arent wearing their collars. Bath time, collars off, scrub the dog, collars back on when the dog and the collars are completely dry. The collars get washed too.

Do my kids get into trouble. YES THEY DO!!! My daughter is 3 and just the last week she decided to not only pull the poo out of her diaper when she was supposed to be taking a nap, but she smeared it all over her bed, herself, the walls, her window.... was i ticked? you better believe it!!!!

Where we live, its against the rules to leave our dogs outside unsupervised. I dont like doing it anyway when we can because they're very good at causing the need for very expensive repairs! Doesnt matter how much training these guys get! Not to mention, in the summer, even with fresh water provided, its just way too hot to let them outside for more than a potty break. If we were back home in Colorado, sure! they could spend some time out in the backyard running around like maniacs.

My uncles dog died from eating too much chocolate (he raided the baking chocolate (30lbs worth!)). My cousins dog, didnt die from chocolate. he died of old age! these dogs were in the same house!! Just because it happens to one, doesnt mean it'll happen to another.

Shasta likes her crate. She races in and out of the thing all day. It helps us to get a break from keeping a constant eye on her and she takes a nap or chills out. It's helped greatly with potty training. She goes into the crate WITH her collar on and wouldnt ya know it?! She comes out with her collar on. No strangled puppy.

I do not understand people. I agree that if its meant to happen, it will happen and if its not meant to happen it wont. Life is unpredictable! Thats part of what makes it worth living!

I was not in the slightest offended by your post. Thank you for it in fact! Glad to know there is at least one other person on this planet that thinks similarly to myself. Common sense is severely lacking in most. i admit, every now and then common sense runs away from me and my foot ends up in my mouth but it happens to everyone! Again, thank you for the post!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Common sense is severely lacking in most. i admit, every now and then common sense runs away from me and my foot ends up in my mouth but it happens to everyone!
Same here, it happens to all of us but we don't stop living life because of it. :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Same here, it happens to all of us but we don't stop living life because of it. :)

exactly! i mean i would LOVE to go camping but with the dogs and two kids 3 and 18 months, thats tough. I'm paranoid about that! I've had to tone down my wild ways because of the kids but you better believe when they're potty trained and older, camping will probably happen every other weekend during the summer! I'm a wimp for cold so camping in fall and winter isnt likely without a motorhome with a heating system!!! lol. i think everyone is allowed some stupid moments here and there and some what if's but constantly being afraid is what puts people into therapy!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I am known to be paranoid but my mom is a worse!!lol.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I agree, no matter what kind of situation you post there's always someone saying that it's dangerous. Life is dangerous. You can take extra precautions, but it shouldn't be at the expense of living your life.

But people are also just trying to help or give you a warning of what could happen, it's up to you to decide if their advice would suit your dog or if its unneeded. I know a lot of people are against leaving your dog in the backyard, but my dog is far safer in the backyard than in his crate which has hurt him too many times in his attempts to escape.

See that tiny little 1.5-2 inch gap? He made that gap, and then he escaped out of that gap in under an hour. All 100something pounds of him. A little while before that, he rubbed the skin and fur off of his face trying to get out. Clearly crates aren't for him, so when people disapprove of me having him in the backyard it doesn't bother me because they don't know how safe my backyard is and how unsafe a crate is for this particular dog.

Every dog is unique, and if someone's advice isn't practical for you or your dog or has no benefits, just ignore it or point out that the advice may be necessary for the safety of their dog, but not for yours :).

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
exactly! i mean i would LOVE to go camping but with the dogs and two kids 3 and 18 months, thats tough. I'm paranoid about that! I've had to tone down my wild ways because of the kids but you better believe when they're potty trained and older, camping will probably happen every other weekend during the summer! I'm a wimp for cold so camping in fall and winter isnt likely without a motorhome with a heating system!!! lol. i think everyone is allowed some stupid moments here and there and some what if's but constantly being afraid is what puts people into therapy!
Exactly. I don't where that is coming from or why people nowadays are so paranoid, they literally thrive in it.

It's like with those decals for military families. Heck, if somebody wants to put them on the car, let them do it. Tell them once how you feel about it but don't tell them every single day that they could get raped or the house could be robbed because you are showing off that you are a single woman.

Honestly, I've been living as a single woman for ten years and I have yet to be robbed. If it happens, it happens. We can do whatever we want to make our lifes safe and livable but at the same time things happen and they happen weather or not we did everything to prevent it.

Or hiking without a cellphone.
People went on hikes for hundreds of years and they survived without a cellphone and now people can't live without it anymore and have to have it with them and it's annoying. :help:

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
There are times where I have forgotten I had a cellphone...........

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Then my friends get mad at me because I don't reply to their texts!lol. I am like "I have a house phone! Call Me!"

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
well I guess I just don't see the "paranoia" (sp) that some see posted on the board?

For example the collar thing, hey if you want to leave collars on your multiple dogs while unsupervised , go for it. I think EVERYONE should have a heads up about the possible danger that can happen with something like that. Because it hasn't happened to everyone (and thank goodness you (general you) may not ever have to experience it), It's a good warning to those that may not even be aware of it.

I would rather tell someone the dangers of leaving collars on multiple or even a single dog vs not say anything, and have them come home to find their dog dead, strangled, hanging from a fence post.

I don't think people here try to shove it down others throats (their paranoid quirks) , I think they are sharing what their experience has been and that it COULD happen to you (again general you).

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
well I guess I just don't see the "paranoia" (sp) that some see posted on the board?

For example the collar thing, hey if you want to leave collars on your multiple dogs while unsupervised , go for it. I think EVERYONE should have a heads up about the possible danger that can happen with something like that. Because it hasn't happened to everyone (and thank goodness you (general you) may not ever have to experience it), It's a good warning to those that may not even be aware of it.

I would rather tell someone the dangers of leaving collars on multiple or even a single dog vs not say anything, and have them come home to find their dog dead, strangled, hanging from a fence post.

I don't think people here try to shove it down others throats (their paranoid quirks) , I think they are sharing what their experience has been and that it COULD happen to you (again general you).
:thumbup:

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
I agree with Diane. If one warning will alert someone that has no clue, it would be worth posting.

I remember a thread awhile back about an adorable video of a pup chasing a balloon. That blew into the same type of thread as this topic. Balloons can choke a dog, so better to NOT play with them. Same with laser pointers, some dogs get obsessed with them , better to NOT play with them. There are so many things that can wear out a dog, why chance a balloon or red dot the dog can never catch?

Choke collars can CHOKE, better to only have them on a dog with a leash attached(though I would never use a choke)...
common sense~some people do not have it.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I agree with Diane. If one warning will alert someone that has no clue, it would be worth posting.

I remember a thread awhile back about an adorable video of a pup chasing a balloon. That blew into the same type of thread as this topic. Balloons can choke a dog, so better to NOT play with them. Same with laser pointers, some dogs get obsessed with them , better to NOT play with them. There are so many things that can wear out a dog, why chance a balloon or red dot the dog can never catch?

Choke collars can CHOKE, better to only have them on a dog with a leash attached(though I would never use a choke)...
common sense~some people do not have it.
That reminds me of something, my ex's friend used to play with the laser pointer with his dog and now it goes insane over shadows, it chases them and wont pay attention to anything else. Could that happen? I've never even heard of it before? :confused:

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
Dogs get obsessed with them because they can neve catch them. Onyx played with one once with my son, I put a stop to it when I came in the house and Onyx continued to paw, scratch at the carpet for hours after that. I've heard where dogs will go after reflections, to the point of busting thru windows...it can be dangerous for some dogs.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Dogs get obsessed with them because they can neve catch them. Onyx played with one once with my son, I put a stop to it when I came in the house and Onyx continued to paw, scratch at the carpet for hours after that. I've heard where dogs will go after reflections, to the point of busting thru windows...it can be dangerous for some dogs.
Wow. Well I'm glad I didn't play that game with my dog, regardless of it could happen or not, why take the chance of having a looney tune dog running around after shadows? :crazy:

Uh oh, am I paranoid? Yes, yes I am. Rather be safe than sorry. :)

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Eh, whatever. To each their own. Your preferences are not someone else's. People say things can happen and don't do things because of X, Y, and Z. You don the opposite for another reason.

I don't put collars on most of the time because the jangling on the floors of the house bug me. She doesn't even get one on in the front yard most of the time if we're out there briefly. Some people don't keep them on for other reasons.

As far as the crate thing...again, everyone is different. Why not crate if you know the dog is going to be naughty? It usually isn't the "what if"...it's the "I've gotten my stuff chewed up." Sorry, but puppy having too much interest in the electrical cord IS a bad thing...and SHOULD be locked up when not supervised.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But that is where common sense comes into play again. There are things that you just don't let your dog play with and having them chase a laser pointer is one of them. To me it's a no brainer and I would never let them chase one because they can't catch it.

But maybe I expect to much from people...

As for the "hanging over the fence" part.... if I can't trust my dog outside all by himself than he's not going to get to be outside unsupervised.

My parents have a dog run. They are out there anytime I visit my parents and I never take the collar off. I know I can trust them and believe me, the only time they'd try to get out of the run is when they'd be starving to death or have not had water in two or three days.

Other than that, they wouldn't try to jump out that dog run.

Most accidents happen either because it's just that an accident or because people neglected their dogs and the dogs were desperate.

Personally, I have never heard of a dog (not in all these years) that hung himself to death.

It's like with the spay&neuter topic where people think it's necessary to spay because the female dog could get cancer. **** I am not running to my doctor and tell him to remove my boobs and uterus just because I could get cancer.

Accidents happen whether we like it or not and I am not going to have a dog without a collar outside or in the apartment because if they ever run off, at least they are not naked and considered stray.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
But that is where common sense comes into play again. There are things that you just don't let your dog play with and having them chase a laser pointer is one of them. To me it's a no brainer and I would never let them chase one because they can't catch it.

But maybe I expect to much from people...

As for the "hanging over the fence" part.... if I can't trust my dog outside all by himself than he's not going to get to be outside unsupervised.

My parents have a dog run. They are out there anytime I visit my parents and I never take the collar off. I know I can trust them and believe me, the only time they'd try to get out of the run is when they'd be starving to death or have not had water in two or three days.

Other than that, they wouldn't try to jump out that dog run.

Most accidents happen either because it's just that an accident or because people neglected their dogs and the dogs were desperate.

Personally, I have never heard of a dog (not in all these years) that hung himself to death.

It's like with the spay&neuter topic where people think it's necessary to spay because the female dog could get cancer. **** I am not running to my doctor and tell him to remove my boobs and uterus just because I could get cancer.

Accidents happen whether we like it or not and I am not going to have a dog without a collar outside or in the apartment because if they ever run off, at least they are not naked and considered stray.
Unfortunitly I have :(

I knew a Boxer and a Shar Pei that hung themselves.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What I've heard though is dogs that choked themselves to death on tennis-balls and that more than once.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts