German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe the real problem is we give other uninformed people and strangers too much credit.

As I was sitting at a coffee shop this morning reading a book, someone walked by and said "Beautiful dog...is that a pitbull?"

I assumed they were joking and kinda laughed but when I looked up he had a dead-serious expression on his face, so I just said "Yes" and went back to reading my book.

:LOL: :ROFLMAO::cool:

Plant Dog Flower Carnivore Dog breed

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well I’ve never had that but I guess most people have never seen a sable gsd? (at least not where I live). So first breed that pops up in their head?

I’ve had a few different breeds mentioned but never a dog that looks completely different in every way shape and form…

·
Administrator
10,735 Posts
Home Depot, Emeryville, CA

him: is that a cane corso?
me: not even close…
him: what is it?
me: german shepherd.
him: that’s not a german shepherd…
me: ok
him: it’s one of the other ones, those military dogs…
me: you’re getting warmer

also me: walks away

·
Registered
32,617 Posts
It's really a good bet not to argue with folks about their dog's breed, but one day at training class someone said they had an American Alsatian. I did it, I was thinking that the British still call GSDs, Alsatians and I said, no. She told me about the breed and I went home and looked it up. Note to self: don't argue with folks about their dog's breed. LOL.

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
I had a lady come up to me in Petsmart one time when I had my Dobe with me. Tess was very well mannered, and the lady asked to pet her. As she was touching Tess, she asked what kind of dog she was. The dog was obviously a well-bred Doberman (cropped, docked), but RED, and the lady flew backwards when I said she was a Dobe. I guess Dobermans are only black, lol.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
That's amazing lol!

I thought of your other thread yesterday when I was playing fetch with Agis - a lady was leaving the field with her (fat) Lab and called out 'What kind of dog is that?'

I said, 'A mutt'.

She looked so upset 😂

I relented and said 'Mostly Lab though' and she looked relieved and said 'He's VERY good looking'.

·
Administrator
10,735 Posts
I had a lady come up to me in Petsmart one time when I had my Dobe with me. Tess was very well mannered, and the lady asked to pet her. As she was touching Tess, she asked what kind of dog she was. The dog was obviously a well-bred Doberman (cropped, docked), but RED, and the lady flew backwards when I said she was a Dobe. I guess Dobermans are only black, lol.
the red ones turn black once they’re older….. as explained to me at a dog park once.

·
Administrator
10,735 Posts
I’ll be honest.. I thought they were brown dobes .. :confused:
there are!
quite the range even…
my comment was in reference to a woman (who’d never seen any dobie other than black) who corrected my friend, telling her that her red (brown) pup would later turn black. which isn’t true.

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
there are!
quite the range even…
my comment was in reference to a woman (who’d never seen any dobie other than black) who corrected my friend, telling her that her red (brown) pup would later turn black. which isn’t true.
Also their brain keep growing until it gets too big for their skull, and then they’ll turn on you.

You can’t believe how many people think that is true.

Dobes come in black, red, blue, and fawn (Isabella). There are also albino dobes that are genetic messes. Blind, deaf, photo sensitive, fearful.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts