German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.akc.org/judges/guides/beauceron/judging.cfm

I was nosing around the AKC site and came across this dog. Does anyone know more about them? I had never even heard of them before - what a neat looking breed. It looks like they have taken a GSD, Rottie and Doberman and mixed it all together. WoW.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
I've seen pictures ... beautiful dogs! Always thought my Maxwell looked a little like one. When snooty neighborhood folks look down their nose at us for having a X, we say it's what he is

[/img]

[/img]

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Gorgeous dog!

Maxwell is cute too!

I have heard of them but never met one, would love to see what they can do!

·
2,967 Posts
I've seen some work at our club. I like the looks of them. They seem to work more like Dobermans and Rotts than Shepherds or Mals though.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Beaucerons are amazing dogs. There are very few of them in the United States. I've had the pleasure of meeting one in person in Dahlonega (I'm pretty sure it could be the only one in Georgia!)

The most unique feature about them is their MULTIPLE dew claws on all four legs. This grand gal had 3-4 on each leg - so ODD. She looked like a cross among a Doberman, Rottweiler, and a German Shepherd. Her owner said that she was loyal and protective and LOVED to work. I think they bought her from a breeder quite a ways away from Georgia, but I don't remember who (this was 7+ years ago.)

This website has a lot of great information on them, too:

http://www.usabeaucerons.com/before_you_buy.htm

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I've read a bit about them. They are gorgeous and come in Harlequin coloring to, basically a blue merle which is just drop dead gorgeous.

As far as energy and work ethic, what I've heard is Border Collie energy and need to work and be active with a Rottweiler-ish attitude.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Are thier ears naturally that pointy? Or are the first pic and the one from the link cropped ears?

Great looking dog pointy ears or no! Very sturdy looking- does have the Dobie face.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I think those ears are cropped.

I was at a show this year where a Beauc judge was judging. It drew a large class of Beuceron. They are impressive to look at! I have never seen one work personally. I do find them interesting.

I knew they were one of the breeds in the Catahoula Leopard Dog's history. My catahoula had double dews which I figured was a legacy from the Beaucs. At the show, I saw a harlequin and until then didn't realize the contribution to catahoula color.

These are beauc pups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM29OjOIXAg

Love em!!!

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I wonder if there are working line breeders of these in the US? Any one run across such in their readings?

Wow, I just read that the distinction was not there in early history between the long and short coats in these dogs. The long coat became the Briard?! I have always been attracted to those Briards too!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: RubySlippersAre thier ears naturally that pointy? Or are the first pic and the one from the link cropped ears?
Cropped

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
The Beauceron is one of my dream breeds. I actually was considering getting one recently but I ended up going with a German Shepherd instead.
Someday I will get a harlequin Beauceron. Probably not until I can afford to import one, whenever that is...

Here's a photo of one:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Beucerons also have a show/working line split. Most are showlines, there aren't a lot that are strong workers. I don't think any of the workingline dogs are harlequin.
In Europe, cropping of the ears is banned. IMO they just don't look the same without the cropped ears. Here is one...

I looked into getting one several years ago when I was living in Europe, but as rare as they are, I knew my chances of finding one that could work were slim to none. Plus I didn't want to have to deal with the cropped/intact ears issue, so I stuck with the GSD. I still like beaucerons a lot, and I get to see a couple working beaucerons herding on a weekly basis. They are impressive dogs.

The breed is from the 1500's I think, they may look like rott/dobe mixes but are definitely their own breed! I think they may have been used to make the dobe but I'm not positive.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts