German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just wanted to share Bear's story with you.

I've only had Bear about 2 months, so I have his story still clear in my head.

I live in Alaska, so in the winter months, the nights are long and cold, and the people up here can be just the same.

When I first heard about Bear from the family, I immediately went over there to see him. See, a friend of mine got him from a breeder down in Kenai. And when she passed away about 8 months ago, she left Bear with her family, who had a sled dog team in the back (about 12 dogs), 5 other small indoor dogs, and at least 5 children all under the age of 16.

Bear was kept out in the garage with a doggy door to go out to the yard to use the restroom. After she died, he was never allowed in the house.

I recieved a call one day, from her family, saying how if I didn't take him, he was going to be put down due to the fact of them not wanting them in a shelter.

When I arrived to the house, Bear was emaciated, cold, but loved the children who they brought out to play with him while I was there. I was unsure about bringing another shepherd into my life, because, Shelby, the shepherd I had had for 15 years, had passed away about 2 months before. He was amazing. Gentle, smart, and full of wanted to please the people he was around. I, of course, took him on the spot. I have a house with a huge backyard, and have a roommate with a dog whom Bear is absolutely attached too.

Bear has come so far from what he was. He had no idea what toys were, how to play with other dogs, or how to be a indoor dog to just get fed and loved on all day long.

I work with Bear everyday, from walking on the leash, to tricks, to behavioral things. He's become a great companion and loving friend. I take him everywhere I can with me, including the local dog park to the beach that he can run down and chase the magpies that constantly elude him.

He has become such a happy dog and a great friend, I can't even imagine my life without him now. He has healed the wound that Shelbys loss left on my heart, and actually motivated me to start losing the weight I have so long talked about losing. He still has those puppy traits, he's still only a year old, but I embrace everything. And I'm happy to give him a forever home :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
I just Love Happy Stories !!! Congrats to you and your new friend Bear ! :)

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
This Thanksgiving will have extra special meaning for you and Bear! Thank you for sharing your story, and congratulations to you both - for finding each other. :)

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Congratz on Bear and saving his life! I think you were ment to be together..... you now will always have the support of each other. It was fate! Very sweet story thank you for sharing and I hope the both of you have a very Happy 1st Thanksgiving together. :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Where's the tissue darn it?

Great story and wonderful that you gave Bear a warm and loving home. Best wishes!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
another shepherd with a forever home and lots of love. thank you so much.

and welcome to the board. we love pictures!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone! Bear really is a very special boy, and thank you for your kind words. Ever since I've gotten him, he's had what seems to be a permanent smile on his face.

It feels great to have a great friend, and to save a life at the same time. And I hope all of you have a wonderful thanksgiving, and give your four-legged friends a little slice of turkey for me :)

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
before and after pictures???

Thank you for helping this boy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts