German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Bear - 5 month old GSD male plus 5 cats - Benny (5), Nani (5), Kingston (5), Rigby (3) and Hazel (2)
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear had his first swimming experience! My son charged into some waist deep water and Bear went straight in after him. He doggy paddled like a pro! But he was doing this thing where he gulps/bites the water as he swims. I was concerned he would take in too much water! Should I be concerned?

20210406_213542.jpg

He MUST do whatever my son does.
Snapchat-277322254.jpg

Snapchat-125747220.jpg

Bear - 5 month old GSD male plus 5 cats - Benny (5), Nani (5), Kingston (5), Rigby (3) and Hazel (2)
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many dogs gulp when they first learn to run through, swim or drink from a creek. If you're just asking about volume, no it won't hurt him and it will stop eventually
Perfect. Thank you! Glad I can relax and just enjoy watching my boy swim.

·
Registered
670 Posts
My adult dog (4.5 years old) still does this. As soon as she gets in she starts gulping water (and then coughing cuz she gulps it down too fast I guess). I don't like it and I worry about it especially contributing to bloat. So I usually try to distract her with a stick now when I let her go in the water, so she's more focused on retrieving the stick than gulping down water.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
We had spitz mix dog years ago I would buy one of those cheap kiddie pools every summer! He would dig, bite, bark at the water! Chew up the sides of the pool, pull and tug on it!! He loved it, did that thru adult life! Later when we got the gsds, one would get in the pool and dig and bite at the water, the other didn't want anything to do with it! Just a way of playing in the water I thought!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts