German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me: So this man breeds Beagles
Father: Yes, and his dogs are worth a lot. They come from a good bloodline and everything. C'mon, I'll let you talk to him.

Man: Yeah, I breed them. Fixin to breed that girl right there *points to her* she's 17 months. When she went into heat, her uterus came out and I had the vet put it back in. She can still have puppies and everything.
Me: Okay.
Man: I also saved myself some money. Two of em had cherry eye in which this pink thing came out. I got me a fishing hook, pulled it out, and cut it! Saved me a lot of money.
Me: Did you sterilize the materials?
Man: Yeah.

The man is a friend of my father's. He has 14 to 16 beagles in kennels outside. The kennels are filthy. The dogs' water has algae and no telling what else in it. He does not excercise them except when he goes hunting.

What worries me is the 17 month old. Her uterus came out in heat, doesn't he know that if that just happened in heat, then there's no telling what trouble he's going to go through when he breeds her?

I feel bad for these dogs and feel even worse that people pay lots of money for puppies from him. He doesn't do health checks and only one of the dogs has a title, a field title.

I told him there are ways to make his breeding program better, but he wasn't interested in hearing it. He went on to talk about a beagle in which a man wanted $8000 for and etc.

I just wanted to voice my thoughts. I guess you could say this is a half rant or something.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
my question would be why did the "vet" tell him it'd be ok to breed after that?!

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Man: I also saved myself some money. Two of em had cherry eye in which this pink thing came out. I got me a fishing hook, pulled it out, and cut it! Saved me a lot of money.
What??? Are you sure that's what he said? That sounds a little far fetched.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That's actually a good question. Maybe it wasn't the vet, maybe he just assumed she could still be bred.

What??? Are you sure that's what he said? That sounds a little far fetched.
I wish I was sure he HADN'T of said that. However, me and my father heard it and talked about it. Yup, father knows people who "doctor" on dogs instead of taking them to the vet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts