German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so pumped! I just booked a beach trip for DH, me and the puppers! We got a beach house that is majorly pet friendly, no pet deposit and when I told the owner I had a GSD he was like "cool!"

Anyway, it's not till Sept., but what are some things I should get/look into getting for the puppers for the beach? I've never been to the beach with dogs before so I'm in new territory.

I'm thinking:

-long leads: check
-water bowl: check
-toys: check

What else should I have? I think we might get one of those tent things for shade.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
When we go to the beach we take a LOT for the dog(s), I tell DH it's practice before having kids!

- regular leash (for walking)
- long line (if needed for fetch/tethering)
- stake to put in the sand for tethering (I like to tether the dog out of reach of us and the food so I can take a nap or something)
- water toys
- drinking pail
- 2 bottles of water (I re-fill 2L soda bottles with our tap water)
- for Coke we bring an umbrella for shade, for Nikon we actually have to bring down a crate b/c he'd probably shred the umbrella. We wet down the crate mat and keep water inside, but our beach is generally cooler and breezy so he has the best spot, being inside the crate.
- poop bags
- some dog food

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
fly or bug spray for the dogs
toys that float!
dog towels
dog shampoo
bottled water
umbrella or canopy
lint rollers for clean up
vet wrap in case of injury
Furminator for grooming on the beach

We put king sized sheets on the sofas in the house we rent - that way if the dogs get up on the couch, they don't hair up the furniture!

We only give them bottled water to drink while we are at the beach - the local water can taste nasty!

Have fun! We would not think of taking vacation without our pooches!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
And don't forget to have tags made that reflect your beach house address!

We make ours out of Shrinky Dink film (trace around a coffee cup and use a permanet marker) and attach it to their regular tags for the week.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Oh yeah I also have this special goop that goes on Nikon's ears for bugs (the flies bite him and not my other dogs)

I also just received my new collars which have a riveted brass ID plate that has our numbers and the local vacation number.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Copies of vaccination records and dog information. (microchip, tattoos?)
If you're going to be there for a while, track down an emergency and a local vet.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, good points! I def need to get the tags with the house info on it.

What type of bug spray do you use, and Lies what's Nikon's ear goup?

When you say dog towels, do you just mean towels for the dogs or do they make "dog towels" ?

Also, is there anything I should watch out for with all the salt water?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I got the bug stuff from the vet. Nikon was having ear problems and she said it was fly strike, so I coat his ears every few days.

As far as salt water, it will give them diarrhea if they swallow it.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Originally Posted By: LiesjeAs far as salt water, it will give them diarrhea if they swallow it.
Yes, it will definitely give them the scoots if swallowed, so be prepared...and if they swallow enough...it will nice green tinted poo.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Dog Towels = old towels!

We always rinse the dogs off with the hose whenever they come back off the beach - you want to get the salt water and sand off of them before they go inside the beach house.

Someone made a very good point about vet records! We always make it a point to know exactly where the closest veterinary emergency hospital is and how to get there.

When someone adopts a dog from our rescue group we always tell them to make a "dry run" to the closest animal hospital so they will know the best way to get there if they are ever in a true emergency where every second counts.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gotcha on the towels! Although I bet someone DOES make dog towels! Good thing is, we're going offseason so I can pick up some beach towels on clearance after labor day.

I can't wait to see what she thinks of crabs!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We're visiting Gulf Shores, only about four hours from here.

We really lucked out...we looked at condos but stumbled upon a beach house with its own pool for waaaay cheap. The good thing of not having real kids and being able to go during the off season.

When I told the owner we had a GSD (I braced myself for the "oh no, sorry") he was super nice and said they'd love to have the dogs, with no pet deposit! I can't wait! Only 72 days!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts