German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope this is not the wrong place for this, but I felt that people deserve to know what can really happen when you hire a "trainer" sometimes. Heightened awareness never hurts. And, this is not hype. This happened to some people in my neighborhood, and they told me the shocking details firsthand shortly after the incident. Of course, I offered to help with the aftermath and trauma the 13 week old puppy is obviously going through. Below are links to the case as details to-date are being released to the public. If you want more details, just ask.

http://www.kcra.com/video/26395882/detail.html

http://www.kcra.com/video/26458222/detail.html

http://www.kcra.com/video/26501014/detail.html

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is the message the owner sent to the News Station. First, Animal Control stepped in to have a look. Next the Sherriff got involved, and then four more "clients" came forward. Now the District Attorney is investigating. And, this all happening very fast. It's good to see that everyone, well almost everyone, deems animal safety a priority. Note that this is all formally public now, so I have not masked any names or places, or anything.

---CLIP
January 2nd, me and my Husband came home from a four (4) day vacation to our new 12 week old Standard Poodle Puppy that was physically, verbally, and mentally abused by Garrett Ridley, Owner of Ridley K9 Academy in Placerville.

Garrett Ridley was hired a few weeks ago to Positively Train our 8 week old Standard Poodle to be house broken, mild commands, etc. with TREATS and positive reinforcement. This man offered to BOARD our dog, Chance, for four days while we were out of town, so he would be in good hands, could play with his puppies and be social with his animals on his property that he kennels. We felt great about this for Chance already knew Garrett - and he is supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL! \

When I called Garrett Friday morning, from San Diego, Garrett was frustrated, was cussing like crazy and said Chance is disrespecting him, he bit him, and all he wants to do is play with the puppies! Garrett said,"I will not let a f------ dog disrespect me and not listen to me." He told me Chance was running around his house and all he wants to do is play...I said this is what puppies do!!! I was in shock at his tone and violent demeanor. He also said he refused to take walks with him so he placed a SHOCK COLLAR on him and chained him up...the more he talked I was freaking out and wanted to just come home New Years Eve, not Sunday! My Husband, Scott tried to calm me down and tell me Garrett is just verbally unprofessional and to stay calm for surely he would never hurt him...we were WRONG!

Last night, at 6:00pm, he brought our dog back and I opened the door to Garrett cussing, Chance was cowering in a sit position, was showing zero excitement to see me. I called him and Garrett told me no - leave him be for he is being punished...I told him to let go of my dogs leash and Garrett told me he was being a little F----- and that he was really frustrated with Chance and that he will never bite him or anyone again for he was Submitted and Subdued so he knew who was boss and that he was not f------ around with this little fu-----r anymore. Garrett's cussing was shocking, making me sick, and moreso, Chance was not the same dog nor his playful self that a 12 week old puppy should be!

As Scott, my Husband, asked Garrett why he is so angry, we looked at Chance's face and saw both eyes were blood shot, he was choked, his neck was raw, and he was limping as he walked through our front door! Garrett, the Professional, walked in after Chance which was making Chance timid, and talked for 20 minutes, cussing the whole time about how we did not do our HOMEWORK with him and it is our fault that he had to train him so hard...he was supposed to board and kennel him, that is it!!!!

I told Garrett to leave our home, stop cussing and yelling, and we brought him to the Emergency Vet ASAP...his paws/pads are worn from being dragged, his eyes are filled with blood from choking and his eyes are hemoraging, his neck is RAW from his collar, he had pee/urine all under his belly and a skin infection from being in one spot so long, and he is walking slow and in pain, and he was absolutely DEHYDRATED and had no water or food and his belly was upset!

This morning we opened his bag of toys to find his KONG that we filled with treats was emptied, the top was cut off with a knife and the KONG is covered in DOG POOP!!! I am so disgusted - can you please come out and interview me ASAP...I am so scared to hear how many other dogs he is ABUSING and the Owners are not aware of this!!!

PLEASE HELP for I want the public to be cautious of this insane man that is a time bomb!!!!
---ENDCLIP

The videos actually show the dog's eyes when he was at the vet. Sad.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention that the vet found sores and punctures around the dog's neck, and says the dog was strangled. Sounds like a severe choke-out application, to me. Unbelievable that a total of 4 more people so far have come forward. Apparently, it's standard practice with some "trainers".

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
wow. just.... wow. speechless.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I forgot to mention that the vet found sores and punctures around the dog's neck, and says the dog was strangled. Sounds like a severe choke-out application, to me. Unbelievable that a total of 4 more people have come forward. Apparently, it's standard practice with some "trainers".

in no way does standard practice make it okay, ESPECIALLY on a puppy. I fear for any kids that jackhole is ever around.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That is horrible..hope your little pup heals up soon and I hope this "trainer" goes out of business.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
WoW!

Have you tyalked with a lawyer yet? Sounds like the little fella could have some permanent harm (certainly hope not!).

Poor little puppy!

Hope that they nail the %$%$%!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Oh my God! How could he? That kind of person needs to have all those things done to him and see how he likes it! It was a puppy for god sake! People like that need to...you know what, I can't. I hope they sue his *** and send him to jail for a good long time.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Does anyone know if this story was on any "national" news outlets or anything. Or if this guy has been discussed on any threads here?

I don't know why, but this guys name sounds really familiar to me. I'm going to keep checking, but I know I've heard of this person before.

Thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Wow I don't know what to say but I'm sorry and I hope your little guy heals up fast. I just don't understand why or how some people can be just that rotten to the core. It's just sad and the only one that suffers is the dogs.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
JHC! Although I wish people would do their homework before they board their 13 week old puppy. This guy seriously has issues and I hope something comes of it.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I e-mailed the story to a K9 trainer friend of mine. He's seen some other videos from the guy on You Tube and said he also had some paid adds on Google.
Don't know if that's where I recognize him from or not.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
WoW!

Have you tyalked with a lawyer yet? Sounds like the little fella could have some permanent harm (certainly hope not!).

Poor little puppy!

Hope that they nail the %$%$%!
This is not MY dog. It's someone else's. And, oh yes, they have a lawyer. This is far from over. I am actually a dog trainer myself, and find this to be unfathomable. The owner also told me yesterday that the trainer had them doing Alpha Rolls if the puppy played too rough. That trainer has been watching too much Dog Whisperer, and applying the wrong techniques at the wrong times. This guy not only needs to be out of business, he has no common sense and needs to be banned from even owning animals.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's what I received from the owner this morning:

---CLIP
Hi Everyone,

Please note that I had a detailed conversation with the District Attorney (DA) that will be reviewing my CASE for "Chance", my abused dog. His name is Michael Pizzuti at (530)621-6472 and his FAX # is (530)621-1280 Attn: Patti (Assistant).

What I need are STRONG, factual letters that state the lack of force and abuse needed to control a 12 week old poodle - period! This guy that abused my dog, Garrett Ridley, is a PROFESSIONAL DOG TRAINER, whom brags about being the DECOY for Police dogs, raises great American Bull Dogs and they are so well manner, etc. etc. The fact that I paid this man $1200 to positively train and properly teach my dog to do simple commands, not be aggressive nor abusive, and NOT be malicious while boarding and training shows this man is NOT a Professional and does NOT treat animals the same on his property vs. his in home Training Services I paid for! "Chance" was abused repeatedly from Wednesday evening, December 29th - Sunday, January 2nd and has been evaluated by several Professionals to display 100% abuse, neglect, and strangulation!

Could you PLEASE send a Professional and factual letter to the DA stating the facts? I would not have hired a stranger unless they displayed 100% positive reinforcement at the time of meeting him based on all of his positive testimonials. Also, for the DOG PROFESSIONALS reading this (please forward this to others that will write letters), please specify the lack of force and lack of punishment required for a 12 week old Standard Poodle - PUPPY PERIOD!

I really need your help, for Garrett Ridley has placed the fear in too many customers, which is why they want to remain anonymous...and my voice and your voice needs to be heard! If not, this man will continue to get away with ABUSE that is unreported and he will not properly be prosecuted! CHANCE needs our voices or this will NOT stop!

District Attorney's Office
C/O: Michael Pizzuti / Patti
515 Main Street
Placerville, CA. 95667

Thank you...sincerely appreciative of your immediate attention to get this man Prosecuted and arrested!
---ENDCLIP

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I am actually a dog trainer myself, and find this to be unfathomable. The owner also told me yesterday that the trainer had them doing Alpha Rolls if the puppy played too rough. That trainer has been watching too much Dog Whisperer, and applying the wrong techniques at the wrong times. This guy not only needs to be out of business, he has no common sense and needs to be banned from owning animals.
This is really awful. I hope the pup is okay and I hope they have a really good lawyer.

It's another example of why people need to be so careful when they look for a trainer. This is on his blog:
  1. Correction Phase -The correction phase helps your dog to understand there are real consequences for disobedience (willful act to not listen to a learned command). During the correction phase you are also using operant conditioning to teach the dog to listen and be disciplined and committed to your cue (command). When your dog gives an undesired behavior it must be followed with an unpleasant outcome. When starting the correction phase it must be done without distractions present. © Garret Ridley
Look at the wording, Real consequences & unpleasant outcome. That would send up the red flags for me. (Unfortunately, the owners probably didn't see this or they didn't understand the implications)

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
This is really awful. I hope the pup is okay and I hope they have a really good lawyer.

It's another example of why people need to be so careful when they look for a trainer. This is on his blog:
  1. Correction Phase -The correction phase helps your dog to understand there are real consequences for disobedience (willful act to not listen to a learned command). During the correction phase you are also using operant conditioning to teach the dog to listen and be disciplined and committed to your cue (command). When your dog gives an undesired behavior it must be followed with an unpleasant outcome. When starting the correction phase it must be done without distractions present. © Garret Ridley
Look at the wording, Real consequences & unpleasant outcome. That would send up the red flags for me. (Unfortunately, the owners probably didn't see this or they didn't understand the implications)

Yes, this had me scratching my head. That alone might be getting this guy out of a lawsuit since he pretty much clearly states he's not a "positive only" trainer. Double yikes about his creepy definition of "correction."

Oh, and BTW for people talking about the "choke out" method and now seeing this guy is a decoy (supposedly) for the police. He's likely seen too many ADULT dogs trained in protection and people using this to make the dog out. I think you'll be hard pressed to find people who do utilize this method appropriately that it should be used on a 13 week old puppy being potty trained.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Yes, this had me scratching my head. That alone might be getting this guy out of a lawsuit since he pretty much clearly states he's not a "positive only" trainer. Double yikes about his creepy definition of "correction."

Oh, and BTW for people talking about the "choke out" method and now seeing this guy is a decoy (supposedly) for the police. He's likely seen too many ADULT dogs trained in protection and people using this to make the dog out. I think you'll be hard pressed to find people who do utilize this method appropriately that it should be used on a 13 week old puppy being potty trained.
I'ved had a total of 4 K9 partners and have never used a "choke out" method to train any of them. To me, it goes against everything you're trying to do.

However, I'd like to use it on him so he knows how it feels. Not such a bad idea since the recommend that you should try your e-collar on yourself before you put it on your dog........not such a bad idea. What an idiot.

·
Registered
330 Posts
phase helps your dog to understand there are real consequences for disobedience (willful act to not listen to a learned command). During the correction phase you are also using operant conditioning to teach the dog to listen and be disciplined and committed to your cue (command). When your dog gives an undesired behavior it must be followed with an unpleasant outcome. When starting the correction phase it must be done without distractions present. © Garret Ridley

This sounds the same to be as spousal abuse. "If you don't do what I saw there will be an unpleasant outcome...You made me do this to teach you how to do___ right the first time...."

Also "willful act to not listen"? What does he think a 12 week old puppy is doing? Blowing rasberries at him and saying "I'm not gonna do this cause I don't want that treat in your hand?" I'm sorry but no. puppies (or dogs for that matter) just don't listen for spite. This guy is seriously unstable. Good luck putting him away! My prayers will be with the DA that the can do it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts