German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this is a rant. I can't help it, I just need to say it.

When I started reading things on the forum almost two years ago, I was feeding what I thought was a good food (Iams). Turns out I was WAY wrong, and after doing a lot of research I decided to switch my pup to Wellness Large Breed Puppy. Seems to be a good food with good ingredients, but it wasn't working well for Minnie, so I had to find a new food.

Because she was still under a year and we lived in an area with very few choices for premium food, we went with TOTW Pacific Stream because the calcium levels were right for a pup. Well, that food was working ok, but it got shot down by everyone here because they are made by Diamond and their distributors don't guarantee ethoxyquin free sources for their fish. So I freaked out and switched her to another highly rated and recommended food - Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy.

Now people are freaking out because they can't find out the max cal/pho levels with BB.

Seriously, am I supposed to change foods every time someone gets ticked off about something? I mean, I want what's best for my dog, but no one can agree, and it's so frustrating. :headbang:

I currently feed BB Large Breed Puppy to Tanner and I rotate the Large Breed Adult flavors for Minnie, and they are both doing great.

I like knowing about others' experience with food, but this is getting extremely frustrating. It seems that the only foods people are ok with are Orijen or Raw feeding. We can't get Orijen here, I'd have to drive at least two hours one way to get it, and we don't have the freezer space for raw. Does that mean I don't care about my dog? No.

Sorry. Had to rant.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Just feed with what you're comfortable with. I feed TOTW canned and BB puppy with a little bit of Nature's Variety raw thrown in.

If you like TOTW, feed TOTW. If you like BB, feed BB. If you like Wellness, feed Wellness. They're all good foods. Everyone has their own opinions about everything. You have to decide what's best for your dogs, ultimately.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts

When I started reading things on the forum almost two years ago, I was feeding what I thought was a good food (Iams). Turns out I was WAY wrong, and after doing a lot of research I decided to switch my pup to Wellness Large Breed Puppy. Seems to be a good food with good ingredients, but it wasn't working well for Minnie, so I had to find a new food.

Because she was still under a year and we lived in an area with very few choices for premium food, we went with TOTW Pacific Stream because the calcium levels were right for a pup. Well, that food was working ok, but it got shot down by everyone here because they are made by Diamond and their distributors don't guarantee ethoxyquin free sources for their fish. So I freaked out and switched her to another highly rated and recommended food - Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy.

Now people are freaking out because they can't find out the max cal/pho levels with BB.

Seriously, am I supposed to change foods every time someone gets ticked off about something? I mean, I want what's best for my dog, but no one can agree, and it's so frustrating. :headbang:

I currently feed BB Large Breed Puppy to Tanner and I rotate the Large Breed Adult flavors for Minnie, and they are both doing great.

I like knowing about others' experience with food, but this is getting extremely frustrating. It seems that the only foods people are ok with are Orijen or Raw feeding. We can't get Orijen here, I'd have to drive at least two hours one way to get it, and we don't have the freezer space for raw. Does that mean I don't care about my dog? No.

Sorry. Had to rant.
This statement right here is what matters.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Feed what works for you AND your dogs. Just because people freak out over what you're feeding doesnt mean you're a bad pet parent for feeding it. If we have to go back to feeding purina because its cheaper, then we'll go back to feeding it but at least our dogs will be fed and happy and we'll switch back to a better food we know they like when we're able. Feed what works.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
A forum is a place just to help you gather information. If you are feeding your dog a good quality food and your dog is doing well on it, then do what is best by your dog - not what every one else tells you.

My dog is on a Diamond product (as well as raw). He likes it, I can easily maintain his weight on it, he has wonderful poop - very little waste. The vet likes him on it, he is healthy. Therefore, I'll stick with the Diamond product.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I agree. I've said this several times before but back when I first came to this forum in 2002, everybody was hyped up about what a great food Nutro Natural Choice was. It was the Orijen of 8 years ago. Now a lot of people will look down on you for feeding it.

Feed what you can afford that your dogs do well on.

·
Registered
877 Posts
You feed what works best for your dog and you.

I personally feed raw, and am very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone. BUT, not everyone cares for it, and I respect that.

Now, I think its in the best interest of most dogs to be on a higher-quality diet (corn/wheat/soy/byproduct free), WHICH one of those foods you decide on, and which one your dog does best on, should matter more to YOU than what other people think/say on a forum.

I never felt bad feeding ToTW, knowing it was from Diamond and that it had the ethoxyquin in it (which it doesn't anymore btw, if people are still upset about that). Though I will say, it does not have the correct cal/phos level for a puppy... under 1.5 cal, under 1 phos is the general rule, of which none of the ToTW formulas meet.

Again, if your dogs are doing good on the BB, then stick with it. Change only if YOU want to, and are comfortable with it.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
You feed what works best for your dog and you.

Agree. And I feel your pain minnieski, I get frustrated with dogfood as well. I thought I had finally landed on BBW and did for 2 yrs. It's an individual decision on what any owner chooses to feed. Information is knowledge and the purpose of this forum is to share knowledge and experience. Just because someone (I for one), choose to drop BB (or any other food) because of information I've gained does not make anyone else right or wrong for feeding it or anything else for matter. You know what they say opinions are like and everyone has one. ;)

I certainly would be nice if are only options were great quality foods.

I welcome others experiences and differing opinions so I can make my decisions on based on as much knowledge/experience I can get my hands on....which is why I joined this forum.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
"Hi, my name is Veronica and I feed my dog Diamond Naturals." :D

Just like everything else in life - one year they tell you eat soy, the next they say don't. One year they say get as much Vitamin D as possible, the next year they say limit it. The experts are confusing. I just listen and do what makes the most sense to me within my budget.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Here's what I've learned about food choices and this forum.

DON'T TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE FEEDING IF IT"S WORKING FOR YOU!

Someone out there always has something to say about every single food available. I've long since given up trying to be on the popular list here for what to feed, so I feed what works and what's in the budget.

I think all the hype about BB is ridiculous personally, and it's one person that is on the rampage about it (I'm not knocking you, but it's reality). I've never fed BB, but I know many that do and are VERY happy with it. There are almost no foods that are recall free or don't have something that someone can complain about, and frankly there are a ton of human foods that aren't recall free. Accidents happen, companies screw up, and sometimes a recall occurs. It doesn't mean the entire company and every possible sub-brand should be banned for life and talked down about.

There are millions of dogs all over the world thriving on the crappiest foods on the market, and tons on this very forum eating the highest quality and having constant bouts of diarrhea, ear infections, poop eating, etc. You feed what works for you and your dog. Read the info, take it in, but don't live day in and day out by what someone posts on this forum.

When I first started here, you know what the "in" food was? You should look up some VERY old threads if they still exist. NUTRO NATURAL CHOICE was the #1 fed food here. Canidae was the "super high quality" food that a select few fed.

Now both nutro and canidae are on the anti-food list, and if you're not going bankrupt feeding orijen it seems you are a subpar pet owner.

·
Registered
803 Posts
"Hi, my name is Veronica and I feed my dog Diamond Naturals." :D

as do i. :)
ive read the ingredients like they tell you to do.every dog is going to react differently. if your dogs enjoy what you feed and arent having any problems, stick with it. every dog food is going to have a flaw, none of them are perfect.

·
Registered
966 Posts

Sorry. Had to rant.
I was never as confused as I am now about everything,thanks to the internet.

·
Registered
420 Posts

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Here's what I've learned about food choices and this forum.

DON'T TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE FEEDING IF IT"S WORKING FOR YOU!

Someone out there always has something to say about every single food available. I've long since given up trying to be on the popular list here for what to feed, so I feed what works and what's in the budget.

I think all the hype about BB is ridiculous personally, and it's one person that is on the rampage about it (I'm not knocking you, but it's reality). I've never fed BB, but I know many that do and are VERY happy with it. There are almost no foods that are recall free or don't have something that someone can complain about, and frankly there are a ton of human foods that aren't recall free. Accidents happen, companies screw up, and sometimes a recall occurs. It doesn't mean the entire company and every possible sub-brand should be banned for life and talked down about.

There are millions of dogs all over the world thriving on the crappiest foods on the market, and tons on this very forum eating the highest quality and having constant bouts of diarrhea, ear infections, poop eating, etc. You feed what works for you and your dog. Read the info, take it in, but don't live day in and day out by what someone posts on this forum.

When I first started here, you know what the "in" food was? You should look up some VERY old threads if they still exist. NUTRO NATURAL CHOICE was the #1 fed food here. Canidae was the "super high quality" food that a select few fed.

Now both nutro and canidae are on the anti-food list, and if you're not going bankrupt feeding orijen it seems you are a subpar pet owner.

Very good advice :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Well, that food was working ok, but it got shot down by everyone here because they are made by Diamond and their distributors don't guarantee ethoxyquin free sources for their fish.
I don't know who "everyone" is but I've always been happy with Taste of the Wild, had generally better poops on it than Evo, and have never had trouble getting it, unlike Orijen which seems to have had loads of supply issues. If you're not comfortable with the fish source, just feed a different formula. (They just added a lamb formula.)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
If you're not comfortable with the fish source, just feed a different formula. (They just added a lamb formula.)
All of the formulas contain fish meal. But as was said before, they've released statements saying they now use ethoxyquin-free sources.

·
Registered
253 Posts
ToTW and raw and proud of it! My dog is lean, has good poops, a glossy coat, snow-white teeth and lots of energy. One of his litter-mates that goes to the same dog park as we do feeds Science Diet and she's at least 10 pounds heavier and has a much less lustrous coat. Just like with parenting, there's always someone out there who'll knock your choices. Gather info and make the decision that works for you. You know what's best for your family.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I think people should feed what works for their dog and them. I AM a food snob...but at some point it HAS to stop. Orijen is great--but a lot of dogs don't do well on it. It has a zillion protein sources in every formulas and a zillion ingredients. I know someone who's dogs have the WORST NASTY GAS I have ever experienced in my life. It's disgusting. They are on Orijen, yet she won't switch because, after all, Orijen is "the best." I'd like to feed it, but my girl has food sensitivites so I think the LID foods are the best for her--but GASP Diamond manufaturers the one I feed.

I WILL nag people who feed Ol' Roy. I WILL nap people who feed Eukanuba (because the food quality to price ratio is one of the biggest rip-offs out there). But once you get into the 4, 5, 6 star foods...people need to simmer down!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts