German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used it for treatment of a bad abcess (or any other infection for that matter)? Was it effective?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Yes my girl was very sick and was saved by Baytril. Once an unknown infection. High fever and high white count.

I took her in once or twice a day for fluids, fever meds, and she recovered in a few days.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Yes, it's very important as a wide-spectrum "big gun" veterinary antibiotic (generic: "Enrofloxacin") -- I've known rescue dogs on it both orally and on an IV drip, for many different conditions. However, it's not always the right choice, and with antibiotic resistance, we need to do culture and sensitivity testing more and more with major infections. I've seen some coming back as resistant to it recently, in some dogs. So...it's a valuable tool in the toolbox, when used appropriately by a licensed veterinarian, for the right kind of infection, if the infection is sensitive to it. I know a few dogs that are alive because this drug saved their lives.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it's very important as a wide-spectrum "big gun" veterinary antibiotic (generic: "Enrofloxacin") -- I've known rescue dogs on it both orally and on an IV drip, for many different conditions. However, it's not always the right choice, and with antibiotic resistance, we need to do culture and sensitivity testing more and more with major infections. I've seen some coming back as resistant to it recently, in some dogs. So...it's a valuable tool in the toolbox, when used appropriately by a licensed veterinarian, for the right kind of infection, if the infection is sensitive to it. I know a few dogs that are alive because this drug saved their lives.
Joey’s on Day 14 of a 20-day course of Baytril, and on Day 7 of a 14-day course of Simplicef. His vet took a culture today of his left front elbow, and said he’ll have to continue the antibiotics when the courses run out; also a possibility of different antibiotics based on what the culture shows.

I feel so bad for our boy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts