German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 yr old GSD who for the past 2 yrs has been itchy all the time. We've tried and changed his diet and the shampoo that we use. now I'm thinking I'm not giving him a bath enough, usually I just do it when his coat feels dirty which is about 3 months or so. Also thought maybe it could be the dirt that's making him itch, or something outside because after he comes in and I play with him or touch his coat I feel itchy too. This has gotten so bad he's loosening his hair in certain spots, he's not completely bald but its just so short. HELP!!!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Itching GSD, seems to be an epidemic unfortunately.
I deal with the minor itchies with my own boy in the Fall, his are seasonal. As soon as those leaves starts to fall it's on.

It's a strong possibility that you are dealing with environmental allergies. Food allergies are not that common, but certainly happen.

Do you give fish oil? This is very beneficial to the coat & skin.

Shampoo, Zymox makes a good shampoo for itchy dogs.
Amazon.com: zymox shampoo

You may want the vet to do a skin scrap of the areas where he's losing hair. Could be mange?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do give him fish oil pills but it seemed like that wasn't doing any good. I will definitely check out the website.. thank u.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Glad you are giving fish oil.

The shampoo won't cure the issue but might help sooth is his skin.

Can you post a picture so we can see the balding spots your talking about?

The hard part is pin pointing what's causing the issue in the first place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts