German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you give your dogs baths?. Josie hasn't had a bath since September!. She'll be getting one next week and she'll probably won't get another until spring hits.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Stark just recieved a bath today (poop issues... eek!).

I usually don't bath them unless necessary (rolled in something REALLY stinky, poop issues - all over - so bad).

I do however, take baby wipes (all natural ones) and wipe him down after a really hard play session with his slobbery friends or after playing in the mud.

I don't want to take away the natural conditioning in the fur or skin.

Less is more in my opinion.

Stark eats raw so tends not to get that "doggy smell" which is really nice.

ETA: When he was younger, I did bathe often (just with warm water - no soap half the time) just to get him use to doing it.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Brady and Missy usually get baths in May and then in October
Brady doesn't smell, Missy on the other hand does cause she rolls around and usually has Brady hanging off her neck

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Mauser has had one bath since I brought him home at 8 weeks of age. He's now 15 months.

I bathe my dogs when they NEED to be bathed. When they roll in something stinky or have an accident.

If they get muddy they get rinsed with just water.

The only exception are the Chinese Cresteds. Because of their skin they need to be bathed more often or they can develop black heads and bad acne.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Karlo has only had one bath, when I brought him home.
He wasn't dirty when I got him, but I wanted him to have the experience! He loved it.
All my dogs are fine w/ getting into the tub to be hosed(I have a handheld shower for them)
I hose down the dogs w/out shampoo when they get muddy, I don't use shampoo unless there is alot of mud/yuck.
Less is more, like Elisabeth posted.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangMauser has had one bath since I brought him home at 8 weeks of age. He's now 15 months.

I bathe my dogs when they NEED to be bathed.
Ditto with Wolfie who is now 20 months! He has had only one bath since we've had him. And because he eats RAW, he has no stinky-doggy smell, only the nice-comforting-doggy smell
We've had non-dog-owning in-laws remark about how nice he smells.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Twice a year, before the summer and usually before winter, last one was on Halloween, a good excuse to leave the house and go to the self-serv dog wash.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Cody and Isa get bathed every few months or so, or when they really need it.

Akbar has gotten a few since I've had him to get use to bathing. Since he'll be shown, he'll be getting a bath everytime we show him.

If a shampoo is all natural, it's fine to bathe your dog a lot.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm giving her a bath next week because we're heading off to Michigan and my Father in Law is allergic to short hair dogs. Figure i should clean her up even though she's generally is a very clean dog. I will be bringing a spray bottle and brush with me so i can brush her down every day. Not that i don't that here already. I don't like to bathe too often because she does have itchy skin and i'm afraid of drying her skin out.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Why does a raw diet make them smell better? Does this work with the grain free kibble too?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
cassadee....Its magic!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
My dogs usually are bathed once a month. (I just noticed Heidi is starting to smell doggie, so time for the January bath). I use a natural shampoo that I love and it is called Earth Bath. Heidi tends toward dry skin so I use the Oatmean/Aloe Vera variety for her. The labs get the Rosemary/Basil for stinky dogs. I love bathing and grooming them; my biggest challenge is not bathing them more than once a month.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I was just gonna post a question on this since my pup is not raw fed, and starts to get that "doggy" smell after about a week so. I haven't bathed her since X-mas because of the dry skin info and its killing me! I think my house is starting to smell like a shelter and not sure how much longer I can stand it. Going to Petsmart as soon as I get off. Any recommendations as to what would be best to eliminate the smell, and help keep her clean without drying out her skin??

·
Super Moderator
32,310 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
I got her some Oatmeal Shampoo for dry and irritated skin with extra moisturizer. Hopefully, it won't cause her to scratch too much! I looked at the dry shampoo, but there were so many different kinds it was too hard to decide. We go back on Sunday to start our Puppy Classes, so I will probably pick some deodorizer up then.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog is 2 yrs. and 7 months old. he's had two maybe three
baths. i use Earthbath.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
If you look through the Polls section you'll see one on bathing.

Rafi gets one bath a year (in the summer) whether he needs it or not.
He gets dirty a lot because we do a lot outside but I just wipe him off with a damp towel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts