German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My baby is 10 months old and I recently moved to a apartment with a big balcony and terrace. He is used to do his business on grass but I want him to use the balcony (it has tiles) because there are a lot of cats outside and it is a nightmare everytime I take him out for bathroom break. He is extremely strong, 90 pounds, big bone, almost too strong for me to control him when he sees a cat. Any tips on how to teach him how to use the balcony?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Teach him to pee on command, then give him the command on the balcony. This is how I get my boy to pee on any surface I need him to, but he's been taught both a pee and poop command since day 1. If he has to pee he will eventually pee. Only take him to go pee there for a few days and watch like a hawk to make sure he doesn't go inside from trying to hold it all day till he pees.

However I would really suggest using puppy pads or some other type of potty surface out there. Just because it's tile doesn't mean it's sanitary, unless you are washing your balcony daily it's going to totally wreak of pee in a few trips.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
So because of cats, your dog will never see grass again?

90lbs for 10 month old? IMO that sounds overweight.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I think your solution to have the dog pee and poop on the balcony is horrible .

The tenant above or below should not need to have lingering scent or run off or failed cleaning up after - frozen
turds thawing in the spring.

TRAIN your dog - no matter where you will be living you have to have control. The dog can not exist within the confines of the typical shoe box sized apartment . He needs exercise and yes 90 pounds is over weight .

Ask the management of the building if you can erect a pre-fab kennel kit 10 X 10 easy to assemble , and take down at a momemts notice . Put some shavings or sod down -- shavings very easy to keep clean - just keep scooping and replacing .

If this were a min pin or some tiny lap dog I could see a kiddie pool with some pads or even shavings in the pool as acceptable --- hygiene so important

a big GSD type - no way -- pee pads are not cheap -- train the dog

you now have to go out of your way to accommodate the dogs physical and social needs , which means a lot of walking

dog on the balcony barking at people coming and going - the activity on the neighbouring balconies -- how long before you get a complaint ?

may not be the right time to own this dog . Life throws curve balls .

·
Registered
15 Posts
At best it's a bandaid, but sometimes you need a quick fix when starting with a much larger problem. Pee pads are expensive but would hopefully not be a long term arrangement. I took the question as only potty breaks not the dog never goes outside, maybe that assumption is wrong.

Yes dog needs training, but in the mean time dog still needs to pee. Yes dog is probably over weight, needs exercise, and needs a qualified trainer to get it under control, but it's not going to get under control in the next 2 hours dog is probably going to have to pee in 2 hours though.

Your landlord is not going to be happy if the dog is just going out on the balcony, tile or no tile. Pee doesn't just evaporate like water there needs to be something to dispose of it hygenicly. Your neighbors are going to complain if it smells (that was me last year with my neighbors Chihuahua). Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? Probably not but that's no one else's judgement call.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So because of cats, your dog will never see grass again?

90lbs for 10 month old? IMO that sounds overweight.
Ok first of all I never said he would never see grass again. I just can't get him outside when the cats are there. Second, he is a Czech GSD Big bone and he is not overweight, we take him to the vet on a regular basis. Thanks you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You need to learn how to control the dog. Find a local dog trainer to help you. That dog won't get enough exercise on a balcony...
Balcony its pretty big. But yeah I need to tell the trainer to help me deal with the cat issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Teach him to pee on command, then give him the command on the balcony. This is how I get my boy to pee on any surface I need him to, but he's been taught both a pee and poop command since day 1. If he has to pee he will eventually pee. Only take him to go pee there for a few days and watch like a hawk to make sure he doesn't go inside from trying to hold it all day till he pees.

However I would really suggest using puppy pads or some other type of potty surface out there. Just because it's tile doesn't mean it's sanitary, unless you are washing your balcony daily it's going to totally wreak of pee in a few trips.
Pee pads is an option but he wont do it, he is very used to the grass and I really would like him to learn to pee in any kind of surface.

Thanks, I will mention this to his trainer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think your solution to have the dog pee and poop on the balcony is horrible .

The tenant above or below should not need to have lingering scent or run off or failed cleaning up after - frozen
turds thawing in the spring.

TRAIN your dog - no matter where you will be living you have to have control. The dog can not exist within the confines of the typical shoe box sized apartment . He needs exercise and yes 90 pounds is over weight .

Ask the management of the building if you can erect a pre-fab kennel kit 10 X 10 easy to assemble , and take down at a momemts notice . Put some shavings or sod down -- shavings very easy to keep clean - just keep scooping and replacing .

If this were a min pin or some tiny lap dog I could see a kiddie pool with some pads or even shavings in the pool as acceptable --- hygiene so important

a big GSD type - no way -- pee pads are not cheap -- train the dog

you now have to go out of your way to accommodate the dogs physical and social needs , which means a lot of walking

dog on the balcony barking at people coming and going - the activity on the neighbouring balconies -- how long before you get a complaint ?

may not be the right time to own this dog . Life throws curve balls .
Its a penthouse, balcony its pretty big, he can only bark at the sky, he is being trained, and only issue are the cats, with other dogs I give him the commad and he stays quiet, but when he sees a cat is a whole different dog. I live for my dog don't get me wrong, I take him to his lessons, to the beach, etc. I just would like him to learn how to pee in any surface I want him to.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Ok first of all I never said he would never see grass again. I just can't get him outside when the cats are there. Second, he is a Czech GSD Big bone and he is not overweight, we take him to the vet on a regular basis. Thanks you.
I have owned a few direct Czech imports -- been close to them in real work , seen them at clubs , seen them with LE --- 90 pounds at 10 months is heavy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If your balcony is that big and if it has sun light you could build a big planter box about 8 inches deep and put down sod and have a small lawn up there. Bit of work but might be the best option if he absolutely will not go on anything other than grass. But really will only work if he squats or he might just pee on the walls. People with large dogs going on balconies isn't that out of the norm here, people don't want to go down 6 stories for a pee break. Doesn't mean they don't take their dogs out to exercise or for walks. I looked at 3 apartments last summer that had a 200 pound weight limit, 65 is common too, so it's not just ankle biters.

My pup is a SD prospect so he needs to pee on just about anything and I make sure I get him on something not his normal spot every day, grass is his least favorite option lol. From what I've heard talking to others about their SD dogs its hard to break the grass only dog. Start with when he pees on grass put a command to it, and every time he pees mark it with a command and lots of praise. It's basically re-potty training. You have to give him the opportunity to pee on concrete for him to do it and its probably going to take loading him up on water, waiting till he really NEEDS to pee, finding a parking lot before he hits grass, and just waiting him out. When I get mine to go on asphalt on command I throw a party just like I did when I was doing basic house training.

But no, you really aren't going to want him going straight on the tile unless it's being scrubbed clean every day. A baby pool with shavings, pee pads, a planter box, anything you can get under him that he will go on while working on training him so you can control him. Ask your trainer about it they more than likely have had to go through this with other clients, it was one of the things the trainer I have started seeing brought up that when she goes to competitions without grass a ton of dogs have accidents in the ring cus they just won't go on asphalt. 10 months is still fairly young you might be able to introduce him to other surfaces but it probably won't be easy.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
If your balcony has an opening at the bottom, be sure not to hose off the pee or dump a bucket of water on it if you are not on the first floor. I used to live in an apartment complex where the person in the unit above me had dogs and they would let their dogs pee and poop on their balcony. They would then hose it off about once a week, and this feces and urine laden liquid would drip down onto my balcony causing it to smell like a sewer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts