German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to my 3 month old pup i use just warm water, though I'm told not to bathe her at all! Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
I got my puppy at 12 weeks of age, so 3 months roughly, and she stunk to high heaven so I gave her a bath. I gave her another, with a flea and tick shampoo, at about 5 or 6 months and it actually seemed to make her itch a lot more! She's 2 1/2 yrs old now, and outside of swimming, she's only had 2 baths since. I think bathing a puppy every month or two is okay, if need be, but more than that isn't good as it removes their natural oils and "can" cause itching or other skin issues.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I like to teach my puppies that bath time is not a big deal because introducing a full grown large breed dog to their first bathing experience is not fun. I am a groomer and have had to do this multiple times and it is often stressful for the dog when it doesn't have to be if owners had spent a little time teaching them as puppies. IMO bathing is part of socializing a puppy and teaching them about existing in our world. My puppies are taught to get into the tub and remain in it until released, and introduced to a HV dryer.

There are lots of natural and gentle shampoos on the market. Just get one formulated for dogs. I see a lot of people recommend dish soap or baby shampoo and those can dry out the skin and coat since they are not formulated for the ph level of a dog's skin.

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
I think it’s good to get used to the pup to a bath even if it means some extra baths. It’s good to always use a conditioner when using a shampoo and you can even use shampoos with natural ingredients or make your own shampoo. Soon they may be to for your tub lol!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts