German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some advice on bathing a long coat GSD. My Ranger is a long coat and very furry. We've had a ton of rain lately, so a ton of mud too. He needs a bath nearly every day or two. But I have a really hard time getting all the soap out of his fur. I've resorted to using baby shampoo bc it seems a little easier to rinse out. Any low sudsing shampoo suggestions that also clean well and smell good?

Do you have one of those attachments that goes on your tub faucet to make it a hand held sprayer? Where did you get it and how $$$ is it? This rinsing with a big cup thing is not working very well. I miss warm days and water hose bathes! Luckily Ranger doesnt mind baths, so he's quite cooperative in the tub.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I use a great smelling puppy shampoo on Gianna made by Avoderm. However, it is not low sudsing. I do have one of those shower heads that is also a hand held sprayer. But even still I have a hard time getting all the soap off sometimes. Have you ever thought of jsut rinsing him off with water. I do not like to use shampoo that often because it can dry out their skin. Usually a good thorough rinsing and the na good drying and brusing keeps them pretty clean.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
I just rinse Kacie and don't use soap/shampoo. Unless she is really dirty. The mud just rinses out of her coat. I have to rinse her everytime she comes inside if it is really bad out...I have a handheld shower head, too. I've had these ever since the kids were little. Can't live without them!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
You don't want to bath your dog tht often. A good hosing down, especially the belly and legs, then let them dry out completely and do a good brushing to remove any dirt left.

I have even just crated my monsters to dry out if I didn't have time for a good hosing down. I let them dry out and then I take them outside or in the garage for a good brushing which removed most of the dirt.

Val

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
I just want to add that you do not have to use the shampoo full strength. Diluting it 10 parts water to 1 part shampoo is plenty, and will rinse out much easier.

I also use the showerhead attachment with the hand held sprayer I got at Home Depot.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have used a bar of dog soap, natural ingredients, obtained from the natural food store, for my LC, Quinn, in the past. The soap rinses out way quicker and more completely than shampoo. When he gets muddy, it penetrates right down to the skin. I'll try a rinse outside with a bucket of warm water on the deck if it isn't too bad but otherwise he is in the tub.
My handheld shower is terrific for getting the water where it is needed and for rinsing down the tub afterwards, lol!
I've had to switch Quinn over to Earthbath Shampoo with Oatmeal because of his allergies. It does take a little longer to rinse out but leaves a pleasant fragrance and is easy on his skin.

·
Super Moderator
32,312 Posts
We usually take them to a self serve place that has hand held sprayers, and I hold it as close to the skin as possible. I also start at the top of the back and work down, so I'm not having to re-rinse the lower parts of their body. The place we go buys concentrated Earthbath shampoo and mixes it with water to thin it down, which makes it much easier because it doesn't suds up quite as much. When you buy shampoo it's always too thick. We can each bathe one dog, start to finish, in about 15-20 minutes.

We have a showerhead attachment at home too, but it's harder to bathe them in the tub because they can move around more and it's tough on my back too, so we prefer the smaller elevated tubs at Mudpuppy's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts