German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey who all here washes their dogs or sends them to say PetSmart to get a wash?

If you wash yours, what shampoo do you use on your dog? I want to stay away from the cheap stuff and get something that will be good for his coat and all.

I have a 9 week old puppy that just got imported and love him but man he needs a bath!!! I am not a fan of the "dog" smell in my house and want to prevent that as much as possible. I know you shouldn't bathe them often and living in AZ he will be in the house.

Any recommendation?

Thanks!

·
Registered
972 Posts
i was my pup once every 2-3 weeks, and every other time i use shampoo, other wise i brush him everyday, its hard on their skin to wash to much, takes out their natural oils to repel dirt actually. brushing should do most of everyday work.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've had my GSD for over 2 months and only bathed around 2-3 times and one being a mock bath with no Soap. I use a oatmeal formula. If you get them comfortable early on there is no need to take to the groomer.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
puppies can definatly be little pig monsters:)) I normally bathe my own dogs, in the summer more, cause I take advantage of the lake and outside bathing. In the winter if I have to, (which is pretty rare on Masi but the aussie needs grooming ALOT),,I go to a friend who's a groomer.

I normally use Esprit shampoos, sometimes a color enhancing one, I like the concentrates that you mix with water. My male Aussie I use tea tree oil shampoo on, because of allergies.

On my female aussie I use a mix of white enhancing, and black enhancing, (she is a tri color and I like that white WHITE).

I think it's a good idea to get a puppy used to bathing, because well there are times they need it !!

Have fun, don't be surprised if he shrieks like your murdering him, and hey lock that bathroom door LOL

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
I totally agree with Diane about getting a puppy used to baths, Halo got a couple of baths in the kitchen sink when she was little:

I like the Earthbath products, and as long as you use a good shampoo and rinse thoroughly it shouldn't be a problem to bathe more frequently. I usually do mine every month or two.

We've never used a groomer, but there is a self service place at one of the off leash parks we go to where you can rent a tub for $11, with choice of shampoo (they have the Earthbath line), and towels.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ace after hes had the last of his vaccinations take him to pet stylist here in town. I love them! Its great to do bathtime at home now but when hes 80+ lbs its going to be hard! At least for me it will be!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I will have to hit the pet store and pick it up. I was worried about his coat but looks like I should be fine.

Jgk....yeah that will certainly be the plan, thanks for the info. Yeah bathing him at 100 lbs will not be something I look forward too.

·
Registered
397 Posts
They are near the gas station before the tracks in that little plaza next to it... I think ED3 is in there im not sure.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I give Wolfie baths when he needs it. He has had more baths this summer because of all the time he spent outside digging in the dirt, and in the ocean. I use the puppy shampoo I got at petsmart. I think it's the pet smart brand but it smells really nice. His fur feels so soft after his bath too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Oatmeal formula?

You guys just reminded me to purchase the Furminator...lol

Made by Bath-time I believe. Was the only Oatmeal formula I could find at the Petstore.

I have Bio-Groom for a waterless spray also. Use that more often than the shampoo.

Haven't heard of the Earthbathe, will look it up next time I'm out.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I use horse shampoos and products on all my dogs. They are easy on their skin and they are easy to rinse out. I also use showsheen after the bath to aid in daily brushing.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I use Earthbath as well. Mine is 6 months old-he's got a bath maybe 4 times so far. He whines a little-but gets over it fast. He really loves the water. We have a grooming place close to our house where you can wash your dog there & they clean up the mess for you. This might come in handy one day when he's alot bigger or gets really, really dirty somehow. lol

·
Registered
891 Posts
A good spritz after walks that you can leave on and is cheap....combine 1part a.c. vinegar/1part water/1part conditioner of your choice.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Since Phoenix has allergies, I use Dr. Ackerman's Colloidal Oatmeal shampoo. The stuff smells great but the big pain is having to leave it on for 10-15 minutes before rinsing.

I usually bath him every 2-3 months, but more often during the spring when the itchies return in force.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I brought mine to Petsmart because they have a puppy bath offer up until 6 mos it's $10.99 for bath, nails trimmed, ears cleaned, dry and brush. I took advantage since Stosh was 60 lbs at 6 mos.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I brought mine to Petsmart because they have a puppy bath offer up until 6 mos it's $10.99 for bath, nails trimmed, ears cleaned, dry and brush. I took advantage since Stosh was 60 lbs at 6 mos.
Now that is something that you can't beat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts