German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our 9 year old GS neutered yesterday in hopes of fixing his prostate issue. He is doing ok......kind of slow and hates his cone thing. But the main problem is he smells awful.

We had been giving him a bath almost every day prior to surgery b/c he leaks pee all the time.....all night he sleeps in it and stinks to high heaven by morning. And when they put him under for surgery......apparently he released his bladder and REALLY peed on himself good. So now it is pretty bad.

Our vet is not in office today, so thought I'd ask here......everything I've read says no bath for 10-14 days. Our whole house already reeks from him. If he doesn't get a bath for 2 weeks......I cannot imagine.

Is there anything I can do? My tolerance is pretty high, but our whole house reeks of concentrated dog pee.

Thanks!

Dee

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
What about a waterless bath for now? Or a sponge bath with just a damp cloth ran over him

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's a waterless bath? The area that really needs it is his undercarriage......but that's where you want to avoid, I think. Can you give a sponge bath without getting that area wet at all?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
A waterless bath is esentially just a dry shampoo, so no water needed to lather or rinse. You rub it in and leave it, here's a example of a product:

Amazon.com: Fresh Dog Waterless Bath Foam Shampoo for Dogs and Puppies, 6-Ounce: Pet Supplies

Most pet stores, for sure Petsmart or Petco would carry a brand or two specific for dogs. I would go with a foam rather then a powder as the foam will be easier to handle and direct rather then powder which can get everywhere.

I would use just a slightly damp face cloth with just water first then use the shampoo to actually wash the site needed and avoid the sutures completely

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Aww, poor guy. I hope he gets relief from the neuter. My boy was neutered yesterday. When we got home I took a warm wet wash cloth & wiped his paws & ran it over his entire body. Also wiped his face & the inside of his ears, which he loves. I was careful not touch the stitched area.

I agree with trying a waterless shampoo like Shade mentioned. I'm sure he's aware of the smell himself & uncomfortable. Call whatever pet store is close by and specifically ask for waterless shampoo.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts