German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I had taken Diesel to his first obedience training class (it is at the same place I would bring him to doggy daycare) when we arrived there the room was not ready yet so we all stayed out in the lobby. Diesel was pulling and lunging toward the other dogs and barking. (I'm 5ft 95lb) so was quite the spectacle.

When we arrived in the room he would not stop barking I was so embarrassed, I almost left.

Next time my husband went with and he did the same actions on the leash and we just left.

My husband said the trainer should have corrected his behavior while I was there (barking) which she didn't.

I am thinking of private classes and possibly taking him to see Anna Childs in Iowa (that's where his grandparents are from on his mom's side).

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
How old is he? Have you done any training with him at home and out in the world prior to this class?

I'm not familiar with Anna Childs. Private training will be more expensive than a group class, but if you'd feel more comfortable working with him in a less stimulating environment then it may be worth it to go that route, especially if you're not that confident about your knowledge and experience in training and behavior.

·
Registered
646 Posts
How old is he?
6mos. Actually 4 days younger than my pup

Possible confidence issues? Could be just frustrated and wanting to play. My pup does that when we go to play with my in-law's dogs. She knows when we're at the gate and she'll start whining a LOT

Maybe so many dogs in such close proximity is the problem and your pup doesn't know how to handle it

How does Diesel do if you're at the park? When people come over to your house?

My pup gets very excited at the in-laws and even when my wife gets home from work she'll start to pace and run and whine wanting my wife to play with her. I really need to work with her about that. She must be calm to get pets or play

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We haven't gone to the park, yet. I take him for walks around the block and he was going to doggy daycare from age 4 months to 6 months, but had to stop, because I didn't get him neutered yet. He does great when people come over on Football Sundays with their dogs.

I think what he wanted was to get off the leash and play. Since that's what he does when I normally bring him there.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
My puppy also had some dog reactivity while on leash, and I honestly couldn't tell clearly whether it was aggression, fear, or excitement. I mean when the dog is generally barking and lunging while another dog is walking by there's enough to deal with just holding them back >:)

What I found helpful with my pup was just sitting in the park, or at a strip mall that has a petco or other dog friendly business, letting the dog just take in the sights at a comfortable distance, then moving closer over time as the puppy became more comfortable. I think a little maturity also helps, but I was amazed at how quickly she calmed down after just a few sessions in these places.

My girl was doing pretty good at 6 months, but then had a bit of a relapse at just before 9 months when she seemed to be going through a bit of a fear period, and went back to being a bit unpredictable around other dogs while onleash. But she snapped out of that within a couple weeks and we just did a few more sessions in the park to get her over it.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
A few weeks ago I had taken Diesel to his first obedience training class (it is at the same place I would bring him to doggy daycare) when we arrived there the room was not ready yet so we all stayed out in the lobby. Diesel was pulling and lunging toward the other dogs and barking. (I'm 5ft 95lb) so was quite the spectacle.

When we arrived in the room he would not stop barking I was so embarrassed, I almost left.

Next time my husband went with and he did the same actions on the leash and we just left.

My husband said the trainer should have corrected his behavior while I was there (barking) which she didn't.

I am thinking of private classes and possibly taking him to see Anna Childs in Iowa (that's where his grandparents are from on his mom's side).
There's nothing to be embarrassed about. Thats no big deal. I'm not much for group ob, I like to use space, but what collar did you have on him?

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
In a setting like that, you can try it with a buckle collar, but I would use a choke chain, I'd cinch it up high and tight and use it to guide him into a sit. Calm him in that sit, and loosen the leash as soon as he does. Don't let it go so slack that the collar slips down his neck, but no tension on the leash. Loose leash means he's obeying. The positioning of the collar helps restrain him, but if you keep going with the restraint, he'll frustrate and lunge and bark even more. Its not a big deal, but boy, I can see this going off the rails from trying to explain this, Lol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I don't think a prong or choke chain is the right fit for us, Diesel is real mild and the biggest baby.
The lady leading the class had mentioned a certain type of leash that would lead them the way we want them to go, but i can't remember what it was called, a Doberman had it on in the class.

·
Super Moderator
2,461 Posts
Seeing that you are in MN ~

There is a workshop hosted by the GSD Club in the Twin Cities. Instructor is Ron Halling.

Someone I know (personally) has attended it multiple times and finds great value in it. You will work with your dog.

Here is a link, including contact info. GSDC of Mpls & St. Paul | Activities

$30 is a very good value for a working spot in a seminar where you can troubleshoot and proof behaviors.

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/629266-six-weeks-puppy-classes.html

Yeah, that first class with the werewolf was embarrassing. There were some things I did NOT do.

I did not sit over on the side pumping treats into her -- I have been told to do this with one of my dogs, it is not necessarily a good idea.

I went outside a few times to let her potty if need be, but I did not leave. I just had to grin and bear it. Sometimes, we can be a little more tolerant and forgiving of others if it is our little hellion causing all the commotion this time.

I am not a fan of dog parks or doggy day cares. The dogs run and play together and of course that is what they expect and want to do. Obedience training becomes DULL and onerous in comparison to free-play with dogs of all shapes and sizes. Whoo Hoo!!! What to do. It is like taking a bunch of middle-school kids to a water park for the week end and expecting them to take final exams and study then entire weekend.

Our dogs do not have to run and play with every dog they meet. They do need to be able to go into a vet office and not cause injury to dogs or humans. (Cats are on their own if their owners have them outside of a carrier.) So a better choice than dog parks or doggy daycare is to skip all that and take them to dog classes, where they work with their owners on lead. This shows the dog that other dogs exist, and that is ok, we can ignore them, and they will ignore us. And this will translate to other places like the vet, if we the owners, do not allow any other person to decide the vet office is a great place for meet and greet with dogs. Yes, folks they are out there. Weirdows. Who does that? The vet office is where you can expect communicable diseases, sick and injured dogs that might not be keen on frolicking with some foreign dog. Whatever.

Just keep going, and do not allow your dog to make the choices for you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you're in Minnesota, definitely check out Ron Halling's workshop that WIbackpacker mentioned. I would also look into classes with the GSD club of Minneapolis/St Paul. I'm in basic ob with my pup right now and she's a bit of a terror sometimes, very high drive compared to the other pups in class and will occasionally feel the need to bark her head off. But the instructors are very knowledgeable, and are able to recommend different solutions based on what they see in you and the dog.

If you prefer one on one, Amber Eisfeld is one of the trainers with the gsd club and she has her own training business where she does 1:1 sessions. Big leap of faith dog training is what it's called, it might be worth it to check her out before making the drive to Iowa.

·
Registered
165 Posts
There are three training centers we go to.
Total Recall in Hugo
Animal Inn in Lake Elmo
St Paul Dog Club in south St.Paul

All are easy to get to and offer basic and ongoing obedience. Each center has its own characteristics. Total Recall is more open and relaxed.
Animal Inn is more confining as the walk way in the building is narrower. St.Paul Dog Club is a very old training group very nice people. It’s even more confining but pretty tight structured training.

Each of these have very good trainers. They will take interest in your case and offer help.

The Animal Inn hosts the GSD Club private trading on Friday evenings. You will have to contact each of them for further details. This is a good deal for you as they all have GSDs.

These are all on the eastern side of the Twin Cities. There are a few other training centers here too but are much farther away than we like to travel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts