German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucca and I have been in basic obedience for a month now & we have only one class left (5 classes total) :( I've really enjoyed it, and now I need to decide which class we are moving into next. Lucca will be 5 months old on Saturday... Sorry for the long post :eek:

My goals: CGC is my #1 goal. Competing & titling in nose work, competing & titling in obedience, possibly trying rally, possibly trying agility. I would REALLY like to do IPO, but I live in the-middle-of-nowhere Wyoming & the nearest clubs I have been able to find are 5-6 hours away and I just can't do that distance for training. Neither clubs I found are even actually IN my state... if anyone knows of a club in WY please let me know.

I spoke with my trainer, and we have the option of continuing with more obedience or an introduction to nose work. I'm really on the fence! I want Luc to have a very solid OB foundation, but I kinda feel like that's something we could work on by ourselves. At the same time, I wonder if we should start nose work this early?

Luc's done great in basic, he picks things up fast. The trainer has commented that I have done a great job socializing him & that he's really coming along beautifully both socially and with the training :D Hearing that from the trainer made me so proud of Lucca :wub: She tells it like it is and dose not just hand out compliments.

In the class we have covered sit, down, leave it, recall, walking on a loose lead (basically heel), focus, sitting at doors to go in or out, crawl, and (just for fun) play dead. There is a heavy emphasis on socialization, which has been great for Lucca.

Luc has mastered sit, down, leave it, and sitting at doors/gates. We need to work on recall & focus with distractions. Heel is really on the right track and so close to being solid with distractions... crawl & play dead were just introduced so we haven't worked much on them. At home, I have also trained "Stay"... the trainer dose not teach it until pups have mastered sit & down without the use of treats & most pups in our class have not reached that point. Lucca's sit & down are solid & learned stay just fine at home.

I'd like to get some feedback from everyone out there! :help: I'm leaning towards nose work but I'm not sure if I'm making the right choice :confused:

Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
I'd do the nosework ~~ obedience is always ongoing for the life of the dog. So keep up with what you know, add in some retrieves/recalls. Focus on engagement and enthusiasm while you work your obedience. Maybe start with a low key agility intro following your nosework course if you want to try something different.

If you want to do IPO, I'd check around with other GSD people in your area and get a group going if possible. Or contact USCA for contacts. You may find that someone is closer than you know to mentor you while you get others together to at least train in tracking and obedience, you can always bring in a helper now and then or travel for bitework(just make sure the helper is worthy/reputable)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Go with the Nosework. Like you said, you can work on the basic obedience at home on your own.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Definitely not too young for nose work. My breeder is a tracking judge and starts her puppies as young as 7 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
32,342 Posts
He's definitely not too young - our nosework trainer starts with young puppies too (he trained MWDs for detection and patrol at Lackland AFB before moving to the Bay Area), here's a dog he trained (Scrabble) doing a lock on odor at 5 months old:

Scrabble again, at 6 months old:

The rules have been changed since then so now you can't enter a dog in trial that's under a year old, but Scrabble got his NW1 title when he was around 10 months old.

And working with a client's 14 week old puppy:

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
Andrew is in my town this weekend for the UKC Premier. It was really cool to get to view a demonstration by him and Karen Shivers. They are putting together a UKC program for nosework titles.

·
Super Moderator
32,342 Posts
Andrew is a really cool guy, I'm glad you got to see a demo! Super nice, and obviously knows what he's doing. He didn't like the way the K9 Nosework people did things, so he decided to just bypass them and work with the UKC instead. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts