German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started Kit Kat (6 months) in Nose Work a bit on my own - no official classes yet, but I've been hiding birch tips in the house and she's been having fun finding some simple hides. I would really love to get her into Barn Hunt, as well, but worry that it may cause her to search for critters when playing Nose Work.

I don't want to mess up Nose Work, because I hope to compete with her, but I also kind of feel like maybe she'll understand the difference (hay bales + offleash = rats, no hay + on leash = birch/anise/clove)?

Do you guys think it's a bad idea to start teaching both around the same time or should I lay more foundation with Nose Work first?

Bonus picture for cuteness. She's darker than she looks - was trying to capture her pretty red undertones in the sun.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Since you are planning to compete in nosework, I would concentrate on that. After she has a good foundation and has successfully competed, then for fun and games, do the barn hunt.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hoping to compete in Barn Hunt, as well, but Nose Work will probably more of a focus for us. Thanks for the advice!!

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I would build the foundation of one before starting the other.

Make sure you give clear commands and structure to each one.

So for example, use a harness for NoseWorks and a search command like "search".

And then Barn Hunt is run "naked" and use a different command like "find".

But get solid in one before starting the other.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, @gsdsar. That was kind of my thought - it's just hard because I really, really, really want to do both! Hah!

Yes, I've thought about using alternate commands and obviously there's the harness vs. no gear and environmental differences, so I'm sure she'll understand rats vs. NW oils eventually.

I think she'll get it, but I do tend to agree. I'll probably get to where she can search outside before starting Barn Hunt. That should be far enough along in Nose Work, I would think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts