German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 month GSD loves other dogs at the dog park and is very friendly meeting other dogs on walks, but she gets what I think is called "leash frustration" when she isn't able to greet other dogs, or she just barks when she sees dogs close to her. I've heard lots of methods like turning around and going in the opposite direction, having her sit and wait while the dog passes, or giving her a leash correction before she gets I her "barking zone" (I use a prong collar). None of these methods seem to work, does anyone have another approach? Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I have heard that sometimes giving the dog a ball or toy to mouth, can stop the barking. Of course, you would have to carry it on the walks. You could also try putting you hand over the top of her nose to quiet her. I do the curving and distraction so my Sting has to concentrate on me.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
When possible just drop her leash and let her meet the other dog.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sometimes your dog just won't get to meet the other dog, and just has to learn this. A lot of times you can't just drop the leash and not all dogs are friendly. You just have to keep working on getting your dog to focus on you. Treats. walking other way. My last gsd did this for awhile, like saying I demand to go see this dog and that is not the way it works.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Not sure about this.
What if the other dog is not as friendly as yours? That dog may still be leashed, and might react to the rambunctiousness of your dog.

I think fixing this starts when you're away from other dogs.

A good "leave it", a solid sit, and to be able to put your dog into a calm state should work.

You should be able to tell your dog to sit and stay, while you have a conversation with anyone with a dog.

I've been walking with my dog, and working on keeping her attention away from anything near us or passing.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
What does she do in dog class?

What is your instructor recommending?

If she's fine in class then explain to your instructor to have them give other recommendations.

This is NOT usually a problem that gets better and the missing part are the skills and abilities we need to work our dogs thru it. Your instructor should be able to help but you need to better explain if it's only happening out of class.

:)

·
Registered
883 Posts
I wanted to add I would be EXTREMELY angry if anyone did this, I get angry enough when people have the off leash dogs come charging at us, this would just be ignorance.

Like Anthony and Midnight said, you don't know the other dog and in my case, Zoey would react in an undesirable manner.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Horrible idea.... Never mind if the other pup is unfriendly or dog aggressive ect. but putting all that aside If your pup is barking out of frustration to "greet" the other dog s/he will learn oh I bark I get freedom to go greet -it will only reinforce the behavior.

I would stop going to dog parks or begin to work with your pup outside of them. Which I love dog parks for the distraction aspect not actually going in. Anyways s/he can learn that just because there is a pup it does not mean play time or all manners go out the window.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My 10 month GSD loves other dogs at the dog park and is very friendly meeting other dogs on walks, but she gets what I think is called "leash frustration" when she isn't able to greet other dogs, or she just barks when she sees dogs close to her. I've heard lots of methods like turning around and going in the opposite direction, having her sit and wait while the dog passes, or giving her a leash correction before she gets I her "barking zone" (I use a prong collar). None of these methods seem to work, does anyone have another approach? Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
You should take her to the dog park and work with her at a distance from the entrance. Stand away from the entrance and not in the path where the dogs are going to walk by. Find a distance away from the entrance where she can see the dogs going in, but does not react. For example, you might have to start 100 feet away from the entrance (maybe more). Once you find the right distance, called the threshold distance, run her through her obedience routine (sit, down, etc.). Slowly, over a number of days, make the distance closer to the entrance, always making sure she doesn't react at that distance. If she reacts, move back to the point where she didn't react. It takes a long time, but it should work. Eventually, you will be very close to the path where people are walking their dogs right by her and she won't react.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts