German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7-month old has just started a bad habit of barking at people whenever we go on a walk, go to a soccer game, or go in the car and he sees people outside of the car. He never did this until about 3 weeks ago when it started out of the blue.
I've gotten to the point that I don't even want to bring him anywhere anymore, however, I know socialization is key, but I am getting frustrated.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Baron does the same thing until the person comes over then he is leaning on them and licking them. I take him saturday for a consultation with a trainer. Between the barking, jumping on people and his intollerance for other dogs. I've given in and decided to go to a pro.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My 7 month old pup has recently started the exact same behavior! Even when he goes outside in the backyard, especially at night, he will look for something to bark at. Our deck gives him a nice panoramic view of the neighborhood so he can bark at many things.

I think it is a natural phase, possibly part of a mild fear phase. I share your frustration with the embarassment it can bring. I have been telling people "he's just a puppy and he's not mean - just rude" to make myself feel better and keep them from being afraid - especially if there are children around.

I have been simply giving him a scolding tone "ah-ah, no, ... quiet", and he is starting to understand that. I will reward him with "good quiet..." when he calms down in response to that scolding. I am sure this will pass, provided we maintain a consistent approach to let him know this is not acceptable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Sheba does the same, 14 weeks, & loves to hear herself. Bark-bark-bark, I purchased this ultra-sound device that hangs on the gate so when she barks (usually at the wind) she stops cocks her head, well that lasted about 4 days, how bark-bark-bark. My Harley 11 mo's never took up barking, he's a proud chewer. Surprised by some people tell me to get Sheba a shock collar<<NEVER Angelidiluce

·
Registered
742 Posts
My 7 month old started barking at noises usually in the evening or if she hears another dog barking in the distance. This is usually 4 or 5 barks then she calms down. If she is in the car she will sometimes bark at a person passing by. She has a pretty deep and load bark so it can be annoying and intimidating to strangers. I think it is a fear stage and hope it will pass with time. She is completely friendly with strangers if approached when out walking and is a social butterfly around other dogs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Whats with the 7 month olds?

So my 7 month old female also get a nice panoramic view of my neighbors, who are right on top of us practically, and she has also started to bark whenever she sees the kids running around the yard or an adult walks out in their driveway. We try to get her to go downstairs and do her business in the yard, because it seems when she can't look over the fence at them, she's not barking. My wife is getting annoyed because it really just started a month ago and as the warm weather comes, they are going to be out more. When we got her in October, it was getting colder and she was just a 10 week old. Now its a perfect storm, warm weather and she's letting everybody know this is her property. Any ideas? I usually go with the "quiet!, come!" and she usually comes back inside. But I want to do some training to get her to stop barking and stay stopped on command. Letting her know i heard her and theres no more reason to bark.

·
Registered
387 Posts
So my 7 month old female also get a nice panoramic view of my neighbors, who are right on top of us practically, and she has also started to bark whenever she sees the kids running around the yard or an adult walks out in their driveway. We try to get her to go downstairs and do her business in the yard, because it seems when she can't look over the fence at them, she's not barking. My wife is getting annoyed because it really just started a month ago and as the warm weather comes, they are going to be out more. When we got her in October, it was getting colder and she was just a 10 week old. Now its a perfect storm, warm weather and she's letting everybody know this is her property. Any ideas? I usually go with the "quiet!, come!" and she usually comes back inside. But I want to do some training to get her to stop barking and stay stopped on command. Letting her know i heard her and theres no more reason to bark.
I haven't started doing it yet (mine is 15 weeks), but I've read an article about how to effectively teach your dog to bark and stop barking on command.
It's basically this: get a bag of treats, you trigger the barking, when the dog starts barking you say the bark cue "bark" (for exemple) and reward, then repeat that for a while.
When the dog barks on command you start doing the "quiet" command. You trigger the barking again, but now you say "quiet" and reward the dog after he is quiet for a few seconds (make sure you're rewarding him for being quiet).
You'll find tons of articles about this with s simple google search. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts