German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probially a topic that is beaten to death.. but I don't know what to do... Tacoma was sent out to training (and by all means she is wonderful now!) but we got her back and all she does is bark, We let her outside and all she does is bark at everything and anything. How do you stop this?

Also Is there a ever too much Peanut butter for a dog in their Kong?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
i usually keep it to like 2 tablespoons of peanut butter in the kong or a bone. One because she likes to make a mess with it, and two because i too am not sure of how much is ok to give to them a once.

Maybe you can do some obedience work or training sessions outside to distract her from what she's barking at. This way she has to focus on you and ignore whats making her bark until she calms down. Or try taking her for a long walk before letting her loose outside in the yard. Chances are if shes tired, she wont bark, or bark as much.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
501 Posts
is there a dog outside near you? our neighbors dog is outside alot, & beamer can see him, & when she sees him she barks for like 5 minutes..

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
She is bored. bored, bored, bored, bored bored!!!

She looks like she is working lines. From your history of Tacoma, it looks like she was alway under-exercised, under-stimulated.
What the training accomplished for her, you could have done yourself if you had been willing to put in more time.

Go out in the yard with her, and do some obedience work and play with her EVERY DAY. Take her on walks, morning before you leave for work, and as soon as you come home from work. I would guess that at training she was challenged, working, learning, all the time, and thus really found a great outlet for her mental energies. You need to keep that up with her.

I'm away from home from 7:15 to about 5:30.

I live in an area where winter days have only 8 hrs of daylight.

About three feet of snow at the momment, and we still have about two months of winter left.

Normal winter temperatures in the -10 to -30 degrees C.

I don't even have a working line like yours, but I feel 100% responsible in making sure that my dog has adequate mental and physical exercise on a daily basis. I get up early to walk her before I go to work. More walks and outdoor play when I get home. I take her into residential/industrial areas occasionally to expose her to new surroundings on our walks, good for mental stimulation.

Today, we had a blizzard warning, wind chill to -35 degrees C.
Spent a good hour playing outside, having Keeta chase the end of a lunging whip (her favorite game), and then we went for a walk on leash. I just bundled up a lot, and I have so much fun playing with her, I forget about the cold.

And I do Schutzhund too, to top it off.

So, the point is: YOUR PUP IS BORED!!! She was bored before, and is sitll bored!!

Quote:but I don't know what to do...
I know what you should do!!! More stuff with Tacoma!

Go for it and have fun!

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Same thoughts as Castle, how much mental and physical stimulation is she getting? Flash gets *something* every single day or else he would drive me nuts! Throwing a bored puppy into a yard all by itself just won't cut it. What's a puppy to do?!?! Bark, that's what. Or dig. Or all kinds of things we don't want them to do. Also very similar to Castle (and my reason for posting this), is Flash's most favoritest toy in the Whole. Wide. World.

I actually had a heck of a time getting that picture because his crate is broken and there was no way for me to get to the toy without him seeing me. I tried putting him in the crate and closing the door the best I could but as soon as he saw me with it he started barking and quickly hit the crate door, busting it open. In fact you can tell that it's wet and that's because he latched on and we played tug!

He loves, loves, loves this toy and it's a great way to wear him out because he will chase it all over the place. It cost all of 20 or so bucks to make. You might be able to find something locally but I got tired of the headache so I ordered the leather rag here: http://rayallen.com/ramCart/cartFrame.htm (click on basic training, it's the first item) and bought a whip at my local feed store and attached the two with just a really strong shoestring!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts