German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been talked about before, but I am a nobie here so forgive me. But my 7 month old Shep/mix is not barking at any people or any dogs or even noise. When I take her for her daily walks and we see other people who walk up to me and say how pretty she is, she'll just sit and look pretty and wanting to be petted. I understand she is still a puppy but my wife and I would like her to bark more at strangers and noise more often. We got her to protect our home after been broken into mutilable times in 1 week. Is this normal for a 7 month and will she grow into this? She will bark her head off when she goes into her cage at night time and potty time so we knows how to bark. Any suggestions or inputs?
Thanks.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
your dog is 7 months old. that might be a little young for any type
of protection including barking at people. if i wanted a protection dog
or a dog to bark in certain situations i would seek professional help.
some dogs are naturally protective some aren't.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
You could teach her the speak command and then the quiet command.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I apologize if this has been talked about before, but I am a nobie here so forgive me. But my 7 month old Shep/mix is not barking at any people or any dogs or even noise. When I take her for her daily walks and we see other people who walk up to me and say how pretty she is, she'll just sit and look pretty and wanting to be petted. I understand she is still a puppy but my wife and I would like her to bark more at strangers and noise more often. We got her to protect our home after been broken into mutilable times in 1 week. Is this normal for a 7 month and will she grow into this? She will bark her head off when she goes into her cage at night time and potty time so we knows how to bark. Any suggestions or inputs?
Thanks.
Sounds like you have a sweet puppy! Never underestimate the protectiveness of a GSD, but it takes a while for them to grow into it (a couple years). In the meantime, you want a well socialized puppy who is happy to greet strangers, etc. The key is YOU and how you socialize them. Instead of pup making her decisions, you need to teach her to wait for your signal: greet vs. ignore, bark vs. quiet.

Do a lot of reading and researching the breed. Search this site and read, read, read. Many of the GSD's that end up in rescue were bought with good intentions, raised by newbies, and then when the pup matured and became fear aggressive (different from protectiveness - read up on that) and nobody can visit the house for fear of the demon dog, they end up in a shelter.

The key between NOW and LATER is for her to learn to cue from you on what she should do.

Trust me, if there is ever a real need for her to be protective when she's an adult, she won't need a cue. Your job between now and then is training, training, training and socialize, socialize, socialize.

Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
We remember thinking the same thing about our GSD when he was younger. Then by 8 or 9 months he was barking at anything and everything. We had to get a personal trainer in to deal with all the barking outside the house.

Now he's a lot better. He might bark at 1 out of 10 people/dogs that walk by the house and he settles down when we say quiet.

Enjoy the quiet while you can. I'm sure the protectiveness of GSD's will come out soon and you'll be wishing for those quiet days again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts