German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been taking Rocky to classes for reactive dogs. He is getting better, but it is amazing how much he can bark. He barks at the other dogs, he barks just to bark. He barks at nothing. He gets so excited, he just barks his head off. I ignore his barking and reward him the second he is quiet and keep lavishing attention and love on him when he's quiet. I think this might just be a habit he has. Anyone else have a loud mouth dog?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Yes, Midas screams - literally like he's being murdered - in his crate or on lead at places of "excitement" aka dock jumping and agility. I did exactly what you are doing and we're down to a creepy low-level ghost moan :) Very proud of him - went from being loud whenever we were around such events to being able to watch me in them with his brother

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is GREAT to know, Falon, because Rocky also whines loudly. It sounds like we're slaughtering him, but he's just sitting, looking at other dogs. He whines and whines, then just barks and barks. I ignore it. I know that people are looking at us like I'm just killing him, but he's fine, I'm fine, and he has to just get over it! It's just his special way of communicating, and I need to not play in to it by 'trying' to quiet him down. I can't quiet him down! He just has to choose it on his own, then he gets lovin' and treats! The creepy low level ghost moan cracks me up! I can just imagine!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Our dog heidi also sounds like she is being abused or something when she is excited, it is usually when she is on a leash and really wants to meet a new dog or person, but I won't let her until she calms down, it just seems to pass, sounds like you guys are doing the right thing by not reacting in anyway to the behavior, but approving of silence

·
Registered
537 Posts
I need to find a class for reactive dog barking...Mia has improved a bit, but not where I feel ready to take her on outings where other dogs may be. Bella could care less and Mia barks like crazy!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I trick I try, is if she begins to react to a person walking by, or someone walking their dog and she starts barking...I make an immediate change of direction, opposite of what every she is reacting to along with the let's go command, now most of the time our pup would rather be polite and get close than bark now

·
Registered
10 Posts
My dog Mage used to bark a lot, but when I started giving him more exercise, he stopped the excessive barking.

Your puppy should stop soon with the training in no time. ^^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts